Prob w/ Asus CUSL2

ruefus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I tap the spacebar to come back from standby mode, the machine almost always hangs with a black screen and a flashing cursor at the top left. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Has anyone heard of this before?

The machine consists of:
CUSL2
P3 800/133
128 meg Micron RAM
Hercules GeForce 2 GTS 64
SB Live!
3com Etherlink card

G

I don't have that board or use power management. If someone here can't help, you might want to check out <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com.au</A>, who have a forum dedicated to this motherboard.

Mike

G

I had an HP laptop that did this under windows 2000, and i updated the bios and deleted the ACPI under the device manager and told it to refind hardware and this solved it.

G

are you sure the powersupply suit the requirement?
drivers support STR ?
seems you're using Win98.
coz WinME will give you alert when the driver is preventing the system to sleep.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

I need more info from you to help. Did your system ever function correctly for a period of time? If so, what use, software, hardware changes have been made? If not, what BIOS version do you have?

ruefus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In answer to your questions, Bluto. Yes, it did seem to function properly at first. Usage has been games, CD burning utiities and internet, nothing else. No hardware changes, I built the system in early September.

BIOS is 1001A. I know there are updates, but flashing the BIOS is a last resort unless I'm reasonably certain that will fix it. In my estimation ther are too many potential problems to do otherwise.

Also, when I install software, I always do a defrag and then shutdown any unneeded programs, install the program, and then do a scandisk and defrag. Same generally goes for patches.

G

I have the CUSL2 and it runs fine now, I found that running the Ultra ATA 100 driver from intel causes a misread of the HD or CD to be a scsi device, Under Windows 2000 pro. Load the Service Pack 1 from Windows Update , it runs fine.
I also run the Diamond V770 TNT2 chipset and when i tried the NVIDIA detonator 3 drivers I had your same problem with the lockup after suspend and ram errors after playing Half-life on the net, I would get multiple page faults and that nasty blue screen. I then loaded the old Detonator 2 drivers and this problem left me.
I have a CUSL2,Pent3 800,128 kinston ram 133,V770 display, Creative 128 sound, Western D 30G Ultra ATA100 HD

G

try upgrade the BIOS.
Asus page point out there is problem with STR when 933mhz plug in.
no clue on 800mhz. maybe they just tested the 933mhz.
800mhz may also have same prob. but they didn't test with it.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>