Question Problem after VDSL Upgrade

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Last week i agreed with my ISP to upgrade my internet from 50/5 (download/upload) to 100/10.Their policy included a necessary router+modem combo upgrade, so they sent me a new device and i properly installed it with no issues.It was exactly the same installation path with the previous one.Before the upgrade everything was totally fine...Very few disconnections, steady speeds, perfect ping through fastpath etc.

After the upgrade and before the new router arrival, i had no problem except that the download speed was stuck to 58Mbps and i thought that the old router can't handle it or whatever...But when i installed the new one, 3 days ago:

1. Millions of CRC Errors from 17:00 to almost the next morning (I can't be 100% sure if it's a pattern here but it seems like it)...From early morning to noon everything is stable.Speeds are still changing a little bit, but I don't have disconnections.
  2. Not even one FEC Error.
  3. DSL Downstream constantly changing from 55 to 75Mbps.
  4. Never exceed 75Mbps even tho my ISP sends me 110Mbps download.
Obviously during that time gaming or any kind of activity is basically impossible.Restarting the router does absolutely nothing.My ISP send a technician and he confirmed the issue and told me that on Monday, they'll change some wiring outside the house.

What confused me a lot is how from one moment to the other and right after a router installation, can someone go from a steady connection to a basically non-existent one and blame the wiring when for months it didn't cause a single issue...Like, they're blaming the wiring but it doesn't feel right... Unfortunately i don't have enough knowledge to understand what's going on by myself...I started learning stuff the last few days, but i'm still in the dark.

Obviously the first thing that someone thinks here, is that the router is underperforming...But i have to prove it, in order to ask for a replacement from the ISP...Or i can go and spend $100+ for a decent one, but i want to avoid that option for now.

Any opinion, advice etc. is appreciated.Thank you

The ISP is probably correct as there is a different type of signal now going through the wires to double the speeds, and the wire may not be up to snuff. No different than running gigabit on wiring meant for 100Mbps--it may or may not work depending on how good the wiring is.

I would let the ISP take care of the issue and hopefully that will be the end of it and you will be back to good.

In the meantime, if you want to have your old rock steady setup, I bet you could swap back in your old modem if you have it. But it may not work.

Reactions: DeanTH23
With most ISP routers, you can put it into BRIDGE MODE which allows it to act only as a modem. Then you can install your own router. But I suspect at these relatively low speeds(100mbps is nothing), that your router's performance is not the issue. It's your wiring that's not capable of much over 50mbps. Old copper phone wires were never designed for this, they're too thin and don't have any shielding, the twist rate is also probably low.

Ralston18

Titan
And if there are any existing filters/splitters that must remain in place - try replacing them.

The technician may be able to do so depending on the location. Likely the point of entry where ISP services enters the premises.

Beyond that point additional splitters are likely to be your responsibility.

FYI: AT&T link with images (multi-language):

https://www.att.com/es-us/support/article/smb-dsl-high-speed/KM1188555/

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I don't use any filters...The modem is connected to the wall and i'm using only one phone in it through VOIP, for the family.

The technician said that he measured speeds, errors etc. in the ISP box (i think it's called PCP or KV in Germany or Green Box in England etc.) and he found that everything is normal...110Mbps downstream (the +10 works as a boost) and 12Mbps upstream without any errors...So the problem exists in the copper wires from the Box to my house or the house's wiring itself or maybe the router itself but you all say it's probably not the issue here.

I'm running a 35b mode Annex-B (VDSL2)...Fastpath is enabled giving me a 6-7ms ping.Most of the day the router is capped at 60-65Mbps which is terrible because i'm only 70-80 meters away from the PCP so according to the technician, i should be able to get 90+ download easily with the limit being around 98-100.

This is all i know for now...I'm waiting for them tomorrow or in the next few days, to replace some wires and we'll see.

Reactions: SamirD and gggplaya

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The speed problem seems fixed after some work done by my ISP technicians and a electrician i brought here to replace the old wiring.

Now i have 110Mbps download and the same 10Mbps upload, which is exactly what the contract said.

I still get a lot of CRC Errors, mostly during afternoon and early night...53.000 Errors in the last 75 hours but everything seems to be stable.Very few disconnections that don't affect my activities so far.
Honestly, for now, i'm not gonna look into it...That 2-week marathon with my ISP got me tired.

Thanks for your answers.