Question Problem connecting office phone to Ooma Telo

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
I just purchased the Ooma Telo and created my account and went thru the setup steps using the mobile app. Initially, the purple light was continually blinking for several hours which indicated it was downloading software. I unplugged and let it restart and after several minutes the status light was a static blue indicating everything was setup and ready to go.

I plugged in my office line phone which is a Polycom Soundpoint Pro SE-225 2-line conference phone and I could not get a dial-tone. I thought it might have been the cables, but I tried with my regular home phone which is just a portable AT&T phone. When I connected that phone the Ooma Telo worked just fine. I got a dial-tone and was able to make a call and recieve a call. My online dashboard registered both calls.

So, my question is why the Polycom Soundpoint Pro SE-225 won't work? Is there a setting or configuration needed that I'm missing? I like my Polycom phone and would like to be able to use it with the Ooma Telo. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy a new office phone that will work with the Ooma Telo. I've had the Polycom phone for a number of years and it has just been on a regular RJ-11 phone line. I called the Ooma support and they mentioned it needed to be a phone that supports DECT 6.0. I couldn't find any information on my Polycom phone that indicates it supports DECT 6.0 so I'm guessing that is the issue. If I buy a new office phone I want to make sure it supports the Ooma Telo. I'm looking for a similar phone style as my existing Polycom Soundpoint Pro SE-225 that will work with my Ooma Telo.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Call Ooma support again and also check their website.

Hopefully they have a list of supported phones.

In any case, be sure that you can document any claims that a given phone supports DECT 6.0.

And also be sure about the vendor's return/refund policies if a phone proves not to work as claimed.

Do not accept "compatible with" at face value. Compatibility being subject to a wide range of interpretations.

I'm not sure dect 6.0 has anything to do with it. That's a wireless communication between the base and handset. Not between the base and RJ11 line.

I think this will be a trial and error issue. Not all phones will be able to work with a non traditional phone line.

bohemianguitarguy

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
It cannot be powered off the phone line. I have the phone connected to the small LIM that connects the rj11 line from the Ooma Telo and then the LIM connects to the power input on the phone with the other rj11 going to the phone input.