[SOLVED] problem installing MacOS in iMac

Mar 27, 2020
I am unable to install macos in imac 2012 model. when i install it using internet recovery it is showing me catalina version but during installation it show me error-->The operation could not be completed.(PKDownloadError error 8.) . My internet is working fine.

Solution
Hi everyone just found out what the problem was. i installed mac os on external hard disk. when i installed driverDx app. it showed me that my internal hard disk was failing.
Mar 27, 2020
The Recovery Mode installer of Catalina appears to not be able to properly partition the drive.

Install High Sierra or earlier macOS from Recovery Mode and then upgrade to Catalina or install Catalina (or High Sierra) from a bootable drive.
I tried installing all possible Os from Yosemite to high sierra they all fail to install. they take a very long time to install(overnight).

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
it's possible Apple's servers are kinda bogged down where you live.

are you using WiFi or Ethernet to install? i've had issues with Internet Recovery on WiFi, but on ethernet it's ok.

Mar 27, 2020
The Recovery Mode installer of Catalina appears to not be able to properly partition the drive.

Install High Sierra or earlier macOS from Recovery Mode and then upgrade to Catalina or install Catalina (or High Sierra) from a bootable drive.

Hi, as you suggested while installing macOS high sierra it is showing me the error:- An error occurred while updating system extension information. I tried formatting the hard disk and then installing again but the same error. What should i do?

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
wifi speed is around 60Mbps
The reason as to why you cannot download MacOS Catalina is because you iMac is out of date. Go to the App Store and search MacOS Catalina. It should say what version of mac it supports and higher. If you want to check what version you have go to the top of your screen, press the apple logo, click "About This Mac" and you'll see what version of MacOS you are using. If it is below the lowest version needed then you are not able to download it. If this is not the case for you, please reply to this message.

Mar 27, 2020
The reason as to why you cannot download MacOS Catalina is because you iMac is out of date. Go to the App Store and search MacOS Catalina. It should say what version of mac it supports and higher. If you want to check what version you have go to the top of your screen, press the apple logo, click "About This Mac" and you'll see what version of MacOS you are using. If it is below the lowest version needed then you are not able to download it. If this is not the case for you, please reply to this message.
Thank you for your reply. Whenever i go back to install snow leopard using internet recovery. It boots normally but after 1-2 min its starts to lag a lot to a point it is unusable. Even if I able to open app store and try to install any app or even try to download supported os it shows me this error:-
We could not complete your purchase.
The product distribution file could not be verified. it may be damaged or was not signed.

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
Thank you for your reply. Whenever i go back to install snow leopard using internet recovery. It boots normally but after 1-2 min its starts to lag a lot to a point it is unusable. Even if I able to open app store and try to install any app or even try to download supported os it shows me this error:-
We could not complete your purchase.
The product distribution file could not be verified. it may be damaged or was not signed.
Not sure if I'm getting this correctly but if your saying that you can't download any app... try this.

1. Sign out of App Store.
  2. Sign out of iTunes.
  3. Sign into the App Store.
  4. Sign into iTunes.
  5. Accept the iTunes Terms.
  6. Close both App Store and iTunes.
  7. Open Terminal
  8. Run the following command: sudo find /private/var/folders -type d -name com.apple.appstore -exec rm -rf {} \;
  9. and click enter.
  10. Input password when prompted. Then click enter.
  11. Run this command to reboot your mac: sudo reboot
  12. click enter.
  13. After reboot open App Store and try to purchase a app.
If this isn't what you asked for, or it doesn't work... please reply to this message.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020
Not sure if I'm getting this correctly but if your saying that you can't download any app... try this.

1. Sign out of App Store.
  2. Sign out of iTunes.
  3. Sign into the App Store.
  4. Sign into iTunes.
  5. Accept the iTunes Terms.
  6. Close both App Store and iTunes.
  7. Open Terminal
  8. Run the following command: sudo find /private/var/folders -type d -name com.apple.appstore -exec rm -rf {} \;
  9. and click enter.
  10. Input password when prompted. Then click enter.
  11. Run this command to reboot your mac: sudo reboot
  12. click enter.
  13. After reboot open App Store and try to purchase a app.
If this isn't what you asked for, or it doesn't work... please reply to this message.
my internet is slow currently ill get back as soon as possible.

Reactions: RamBoy_69
If you're having trouble with the App Store. Just use a version of Mac OS you can download directly without the app store. Then create a bootable USB flash drive installer with Diskmaker X. Then you can boot off the flash drive, repartition your boot drive and perform a clean install.

Sierra will download the DMG directly. Skip to Step 5 "Download macOS Sierra".
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Use DiskMaker X 6 for Sierra.
https://diskmakerx.com/download/

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
If you're having trouble with the App Store. Just use a version of Mac OS you can download directly without the app store. Then create a bootable USB flash drive installer with Diskmaker X. Then you can boot off the flash drive, repartition your boot drive and perform a clean install.

Sierra will download the DMG directly. Skip to Step 5 "Download macOS Sierra".
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Use DiskMaker X 6 for Sierra.
https://diskmakerx.com/download/
Literally no reason for a bootable flash drive... Just shut down your Mac and turn it on. Immediately after you press the power button, press and hold Command+R until you see a window named "mac OS Utilities". There will be an option to reinstall Mac OS straight from the device itself. Although it is recommended to get a flash drive and back up all of your data just in case. I've done this many times before without a backup and it saved everything as it is clearly quoting to only "reinstall" mac OS.

Literally no reason for a bootable flash drive... Just shut down your Mac and turn it on. Immediately after you press the power button, press and hold Command+R until you see a window named "mac OS Utilities". There will be an option to reinstall Mac OS straight from the device itself. Although it is recommended to get a flash drive and back up all of your data just in case. I've done this many times before without a backup and it saved everything as it is clearly quoting to only "reinstall" mac OS.

The Op is trying to install macOS and Internet Recovery isn't working right. Creating a bootable Flash Drive, possibly from another computer, is a workaround.

The standard recovery mode won't work if you repartition the boot drive. Which the op was trying to do. Only internet recovery will work after that. But for some reason internet recovery isn't working properly.

Mar 27, 2020
Hi everyone just found out what the problem was. i installed mac os on external hard disk. when i installed driverDx app. it showed me that my internal hard disk was failing.

Solution