problem reinstalling

:( my computer was dying i lent my mates reinstallation CD which was not
designed for my computer it reinstalled xp. (dell Cd reinstallation
disk) but was sp1a it never asked for product code. i updated it too
xpsp2 now asks me to activate and i aint got original product code as
it was bought second hand. what do i do? no code works!!!! Please help

--
barryphillips

How to buy Windows XP Home Edition: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/default.mspx

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"barryphillips" <barryphillips.1miydn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:barryphillips.1miydn@pcbanter.net...

> :( my computer was dying i lent my mates reinstallation CD which was not
> designed for my computer it reinstalled xp. (dell Cd reinstallation
> disk) but was sp1a it never asked for product code. i updated it too
> xpsp2 now asks me to activate and i aint got original product code as
> it was bought second hand. what do i do? no code works!!!! Please help
>

> --
> barryphillips

You need to find your serial number and model number for your computer, your
computer from Dell was manufactured to work only with the CD provided with
your system.

If you did not back your system up before you install the retail version of
Windows XP SP1 or Windows SP2, You may have to shipp your system to Dell or
contat a local Dell Computer Shop to restore the original configuration of
the operating system.

Have you tryed to last best configuration?

See if this tool will help you out:
http://www.errornuker.com/info/01.php?hop=error101