Question Problem swapping my boot drive ?

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Need help, I'm puzzled why I can't redirect my Windows to quit booting from an old 860 Evo SSD and use my 970 Plus M.2 NVMe SSD instead.

Originally the 860 Evo had Windows 10 installed from the previous build, decided to carry that over into my new build along with the 970 Plus, and since I've added a 980 Pro as well.
I've got the 860 EVO formatted and transferred Windows to the 970 but when trying to change the Windows boot drive to the 970 my only option for the boot drive is still the 860 EVO?

I can disconnect the 860 EVO as well and same result, still not option for my NVMe drive lol. I've seen CMS is sometimes related to this issue similar to mine is currently disabled if that helps any. Is there a work around for this without reinstalling Windows all together?

Ultimately my goal is run my machine off nothing but m.2's and remove the old SSD's I have hooked up.

Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Need help, missing why I can't redirect my windows to quit booting from an old SSD(860 Evo)hard drive and use my (970 Plus NVME instead). Originally the 860 Evo had windows 10 installed from the previous build, decided to carry that over into my new build along with the (970 Plus) and since I've added a (980 Pro) as well. I've got the 860 EVO formatted and transferred windows to the 970 but when trying to change the windows boot to the 970 my only option for the boot drive is still the 860 EVO, I can disconnect the 860 EVO as well and same result still not option for my NVMW drives lol. I've seen CMS is sometimes related to this issue similar to mine is currently disabled if that helps any. Is there a work around for this without reinstalling windows all together. Ultimately my goal is run my machine off nothing but m.2's and remove the old SSD's I have hooked up.

Thanks in advance.
"Originally the 860 Evo had windows 10 installed from the previous build, decided to carry that over into my new build "
Bad idea

" I've got the 860 EVO formatted and transferred windows to the 970"
How, exactly, did you do this transfer?

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
"Originally the 860 Evo had windows 10 installed from the previous build, decided to carry that over into my new build "
Bad idea

" I've got the 860 EVO formatted and transferred windows to the 970"
How, exactly, did you do this transfer?

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
(upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here)

Here is the my disk management set up currently View: https://imgur.com/a/NUqpzDu
. I used Samsung magician software to do my data migration when it came to moving everything from the 860 Evo to the 970 and once everything was moved. I sweeped the 860 pretty much but it still wants to boot from that drive lol, the only thing on that drive currently is some Steam software which was added after it was cleared. I managed to save the majority of my files when setting up the new rig and I've been running it fine, but I'm at the point now I wanna do some cleaning up with wiring in the case, just kinda at a stand still until I can get it to boot from the NVME.

Here is the my disk management set up currently
See that 99MB EFI system partition on Disk 1.
That's your bootloader.
Only drive with bootloader on it is bootable. Other drives are not bootable.

If you wish to make Disk 3 bootable, you have to manually create bootloader on it.
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition x
(select 632MB recovery partition, x=2 or x=3)
delete partition override
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H

Last message should be "Boot files created sucessfully".
After this, you can change BIOS boot options to boot from Windows Boot Manager on 970 evo.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
See that 99MB EFI system partition on Disk 1.
That's your bootloader.
Only drive with bootloader on it is bootable. Other drives are not bootable.

If you wish to make Disk 3 bootable, you have to manually create bootloader on it.
Execute from elevated command prompt. Regular command prompt will give error on last step.
If you get any errors, then stop immediately and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
list partition
select partition x
(select 632MB recovery partition, x=2 or x=3)
delete partition override
create partition efi
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s H

Last message should be "Boot files created sucessfully".
After this, you can change BIOS boot options to boot from Windows Boot Manager on 970 evo.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/elevated.htm

I don't think I did this quite right lol, I copy and pasted the text into the command prompt.

View: https://imgur.com/amgidCn

For some reason you don't have diskpart available.

Also - you can not just run those commands blindly.
You have to understand, what they are doing.
For example in command select partition x - you have to replace x with appropriate number.
Next line (enclosed in parenthesis) is just a comment. You do not run that.

USAFRet

Titan
Ahh misunderstood that portion then, makes sense now, I may end up just doing a windows reinstall I suppose.