Question Problem when searching with Agent Ransack ?

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
When I search it finds files which no longer have the search term in the file name.
eg. if I search for files with for the word "check" it finds files that were previously named check but aren't anymore.
Is there any way to refresh the program?

Ralston18

Titan
This application?

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download/

Are you using the free (Lite) version or a paid version?

= = = =

What file types are being used/searched?

What is the end requirement?

Is the requirement to search and find filenames that contain the characters "check" or is the requirement to find files whose contents contain the word "check"?

Those are two different searches.

And how is it known that any given file once included "check" in the filename?

For example: If a file was named "First_Check" and later named "First_Book" how would the software or you know that.

All I can think of is that there is some sort of table or indexing involved that keeps track of filename history.

More information needed.

Please share a screenshot of the program window, your details isn't enough to determine what may be wrong.

Btw - I think I know what you're doing wrong: In the Main tab, there is a check box labeled "Not" - just left to "File name" and you may have this option checked inadvertently.

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Please share a screenshot of the program window, your details isn't enough to determine what may be wrong.

Btw - I think I know what you're doing wrong: In the Main tab, there is a check box labeled "Not" - just left to "File name" and you may have this option checked inadvertently.
I have game guides. I title folders with (check) to remind myself to finish checking the info in that folder. I just open Agent Ransack (free version), select a location and type check in the File name bar. It shows me all the folders I need to check. This has worked until now. Now it shows me folders the that have already been renamed as I have already checked them. In the screenshot the rec circled folders have already been renamed, but they continue to show up in my search.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you flagging both folders and the files within those folders by using "(check)"?

The red circled folders may not have been renamed even though you went through some process to do so.

If the folder names still include the "(check)" after the folder was checked and renamed then something else is amiss;

How are you renaming the folders?

As I understand what you are doing you first append the word "check" in parathesis to the folder name and save that folder with the new name.

When you finish checking the files [those files having had "(check) appended to the filename ]in the folder then you again rename the folder to remove "(check)".

Are you certain that you are confirming the folder and filename changes properly?

Some "Yes". "Ok", "Save" button?

It would seem so because you can initially change the folder name and filenames to append "(check)".

The provided image shows an apparent search for a filename = check.

My thought being that you are looking for filenames (and folder names) that contain the work "check".

Is the some wild card format such as *check* or other selected requirement such as Must Contain 'check'?

In the far right corner of the image there is a dropdown box showing the word "Expert"

What other choices are there and what do those choices do?

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
I used window search and it worked fine. I moved the folder in question from E: to C: drive and still the same thing with Agent Ransack. Oddly enough, the Windows folder bar still show the old folder name as does the File properties location.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you know when the use of "(check)" to flag folders and files stopped working?

= = = =

Use the Command Prompt to look in the various folders and list filenames via DIR command.

Do the filesnames still include "(check)" even though you previously edited and renamed the file by removing "(check)"?

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting....

I have been looking into the rules and restrictions regarding folder and filenames.

Reference:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

Have not noted anything that could be going astray there.

However, if you are willing, do a bit of experimenting. Try renaming and/or flagging the files without special characters, the word "check", or anything else you are willing to try.

Strongly suggest that you experiment on folder and file copies being sure that all original folders and files are backed up and otherwise protected.

Identify the copied folders as test folders.

Try something like Patient_Zero vs Patient_Zero_Confirm.

Test by renaming folders and files directly in Windows and in Agent Ransack.

And search for "Confirm".

The objective being to find something that does again work for Agent Ransack.

Be very deliberate and methodical.

If the test folders and files get corrupted or messy. Delete and try again.

Post what you find and learn.

Unfortunately I do not have some "instant answer". However someone else may spot some issue or problem and post accordingly. I have no problem with that.