[SOLVED] Problem with 2 router and dhcp static!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021
Hi guys, i have a problem with my home network.

I have a "strange situation" at home where the modem provided by my ISP is in a room and from it i have 2 ethernet cable that go in different floor.

Each cable have 1 router to provide lan and wifi in the two floor of the house.

In 1 of the router i have an xbox connected that need static ip (for port forwarding) but i can't assign to it a static ip.

The 2 router are setted to just extend the line of the modem (disabled dhcp) so i created a rule in the principal modem to assign the static ip but don't work....

Any tips?

PS: the console can still go online, it's just the static ip rule that don't work

Solution
Just to clarify things, I think you are talking about an IP reservation, not a static IP.

A static IP is outside the DHCP range of the router. So if your DHCP range is set to give out ip's from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100. Then setting a manual IP address on the client PC of 192.168.1.101 would be a static address since it's outside the DHCP allocated range. This is done on the client side.

In an IP reservation, you can reserve an IP address allocation from the DHCP based on the MAC address of the client. This is done on the router side.

I would try setting an actual static IP address outside the DHCP range to see if that fixes your problem. You can still port forward to it just the same.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys, i have a problem with my home network.

I have a "strange situation" at home where the modem provided by my ISP is in a room and from it i have 2 ethernet cable that go in different floor.

Each cable have 1 router to provide lan and wifi in the two floor of the house.

In 1 of the router i have an xbox connected that need static ip (for port forwarding) but i can't assign to it a static ip.

The 2 router are setted to just extend the line of the modem (disabled dhcp) so i created a rule in the principal modem to assign the static ip but don't work....

Any tips?

PS: the console can still go online, it's just the static ip rule that don't work
Do these two routers have public IP addresses or private? Meaning is the ISP device actually a router rather than a modem?
If it is a router (most likely) then the two personally owned routers should be configured as access points rather than routers. You avoid the double NAT and have a single network all throughout the house.

Just to clarify things, I think you are talking about an IP reservation, not a static IP.

A static IP is outside the DHCP range of the router. So if your DHCP range is set to give out ip's from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100. Then setting a manual IP address on the client PC of 192.168.1.101 would be a static address since it's outside the DHCP allocated range. This is done on the client side.

In an IP reservation, you can reserve an IP address allocation from the DHCP based on the MAC address of the client. This is done on the router side.

I would try setting an actual static IP address outside the DHCP range to see if that fixes your problem. You can still port forward to it just the same.

Solution
Ok, I just looked at your images and I see the problem. You have 2 routers with overlapping DHCP ranges. Your main router has a range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254 and your second router has a range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

I would shut off the DHCP server of your 2nd router and turn it into an access point instead of a router. Let the main router do all the DHCP work.

I would assign your 2nd router with a static IP address of 192.168.1.2. This should be done before you turn off the DHCP server of this 2nd router. This is PICTURE 2 you linked above for the secondary router in the LAN page. Delete the IP reservation on your main router. The default gateway would be 192.168.1.1 which is the main router's ip address. The DNS can be one of many dns servers like 8.8.8.8 for google's dns server or 1.1.1.1 for cloudflare's dns server.

I would assign the xbox IP address of 192.168.1.3 on the xbox itself. Or you can do an IP reservation on the main router.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sladom
Oct 6, 2021
Ok, I just looked at your images and I see the problem. You have 2 routers with overlapping DHCP ranges. Your main router has a range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254 and your second router has a range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.

I would shut off the DHCP server of your 2nd router and turn it into an access point instead of a router. Let the main router do all the DHCP work.

I would assign your 2nd router with a static IP address of 192.168.1.2. This should be done before you turn off the DHCP server of this 2nd router. This is PICTURE 2 you linked above for the secondary router in the LAN page. Delete the IP reservation on your main router. The default gateway would be 192.168.1.1 which is the main router's ip address. The DNS can be one of many dns servers like 8.8.8.8 for google's dns server or 1.1.1.1 for cloudflare's dns server.

I would assign the xbox IP address of 192.168.1.3 on the xbox itself. Or you can do an IP reservation on the main router.

Oh man you're a god! it worked! :eek:

Thank you very much!!!

Reactions: gggplaya
Status
Not open for further replies.