Question Problem with 3080 after 2.05 Valorant patch.

Mar 21, 2021
As said in the title,after the 2.05 update Valorant seems to go weird on my 3080 RTX(yeah,who plays valorant with such GPU?). It either caps on 10-11% usage with 1740 clock (CPU temp is around 40c and Vram Junction is around 45c,so it definetely can climb higher than that)or on 40% (where it was before the patch)but the clocks dont go higher than 655(also,i noticed similiar behavior in old games,where framerate is either capped,or just dont go that high. Great example is Dishonored where the framerate is capped at 130. Game runs perfectly fine,and doesnt dip below at all). The FPS is damaged. It was >200 before,now it runs somewhere around 100-120,with drops to 60-80. I have 1080p 144hz monitor,i tried to "upscale" the game through increasing the resoultion of the screen via DSR to 4k/2k and running the game in borderless window mode. Still didn't help,and
I tried multiple driver versions(studio and game-ready)overclock/downclock/undervolt or full-stock makes no change whatsoever. I tried also to OC/DC the VRAM,and it felt weird when -200 on the memory made the game a little bit smoother. Other games run the same,no change whatsoever,only one game bothers me,cause i want to play with my friends once a while.
My rig is :
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (Overclocked to 4375,i tried to go full stock,it didnt change a thing).
CPU Cooler : Arctic Freezer II 240 (i will upgrade soon,so
RAM : Corsair LPX Vengeance with XMP on 3600 Mhz. 2x8 GB kit (i have the kit of HyperX ram 2x8 gb kit on the way,the XMP speed is the same(3600 MHz Cl17))
Motherboard : ASUS TUF B450 Pro Gaming with latest BIOS.
GPU : (As said before) RTX 3080 Ventus X3 OC.
PSU : Deepcool DQ750ST 750W gold. Plugged different PSU cables,so it doesn't have any problems(easily eats 320W in any-test,and do not have any problems)
I have an SSD and HDD,both of them are fairly new,and work fine. Moving game from HDD to SSD didn't change a thing,so i moved it back.
SSD is GIGABYTE GP-ASM2NE2512GTTDR and HDD is Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM
The temps on CPU and GPU are always <50C in most cases. Exception are heavy AAA titles like Cyberpunk. The GPU&GPU sit on 65~C.
I clearly don't know what to do,and RIOT Support just makes me question why they answer me those things,if it definetely won't help.
Any help will be appreciated. Can't find a solution for a week now,and wherever i ask people start "why you play this game having such gpu".

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a software issue.
The 3600 is fine to play Valorant with. The Arctic Freezer II is more than enough, you don't need to upgrade that, if anything you need to use Dram Calculator, Typhoon Burner to tune the ram and tune voltage use. That means dropping PBO and the Auto OC, and lowering voltages to the cpu. Get the temps down and you'll boost higher, without the necessity of an all core OC.

My daughter plays Valorant on my pc with nothing but tailored ram/voltages and my 3700x sits at 4.3-4.4GHz and doesn't go beyond 56°C

Fps is a measure of cpu power. The gpu has to replicate the fps, or fails. If fps is tanking its because the cpu isn't giving the gpu anything to work with or gpu drivers are dumping the fps. Has absolutely nothing to do with the cpu bottlenecking the gpu because it's a 3600-3080 pairing.

Cpu = fps limit.
Gpu = eye candy.

Cyberpunk is a bad example, that game us beyond gpu brutal, even Linus barely got 60fps with an OC 3090 and maxed out Ultra settings with Raytracing enabled.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a windows issue, Vanguard has had much to say about what does and doesn't get loaded at boot and it's created issues with my Skyrim not loading certain steam files, quarantined by Vanguard.

The anti-cheat crap is getting out of hand.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image?amp

Try dism restore and SFC /scannow.
There was also a major Windows update, check your power plan settings etc, it's been reported that several have been reset to 'power saver' settings.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 21, 2021
ryzen 5 3600 may be bottlenecking the rtx 3080 on a cpu heavy game like valorant. (note I said may.)
I was thinking the same,but no,before the patch everything was crystal-clear,as i said. The game is having some issues with utilization,and i don't know how to fix them. Riot Support gives me advices to close background apps,and such,while completely ignoring that im not running any(discord is exception...cause im talking with guys,you know?)apps on the background,and i was even mining before the patch and everything was smooth. Really,butter-smooth expirience.

Mar 21, 2021
It's a software issue.
The 3600 is fine to play Valorant with. The Arctic Freezer II is more than enough, you don't need to upgrade that, if anything you need to use Dram Calculator, Typhoon Burner to tune the ram and tune voltage use. That means dropping PBO and the Auto OC, and lowering voltages to the cpu. Get the temps down and you'll boost higher, without the necessity of an all core OC.

My daughter plays Valorant on my pc with nothing but tailored ram/voltages and my 3700x sits at 4.3-4.4GHz and doesn't go beyond 56°C

Fps is a measure of cpu power. The gpu has to replicate the fps, or fails. If fps is tanking its because the cpu isn't giving the gpu anything to work with or gpu drivers are dumping the fps. Has absolutely nothing to do with the cpu bottlenecking the gpu because it's a 3600-3080 pairing.

Cpu = fps limit.
Gpu = eye candy.

Cyberpunk is a bad example, that game us beyond gpu brutal, even Linus barely got 60fps with an OC 3090 and maxed out Ultra settings with Raytracing enabled.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a windows issue, Vanguard has had much to say about what does and doesn't get loaded at boot and it's created issues with my Skyrim not loading certain steam files, quarantined by Vanguard.

The anti-cheat crap is getting out of hand.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image?amp

Try dism restore and SFC /scannow.
There was also a major Windows update, check your power plan settings etc, it's been reported that several have been reset to 'power saver' settings.
Interesting. Yep,cyberpunk is noted more as a "benchmark" that my system is running fine,and its not like my 3080 is bricked/gone bad or something. I think there is really an issue with the Vanguard,it looks creepy.
I tried DISM and SFC,all of the scans showed that no component store corruption detected. Tried them now too,still the same thing.
And yeah,my power plan went on High Performance instead of AMD Ryzen High Performance. I doubt that this might change things,but i'll look into it.
Thanks for the reply.