[SOLVED] Problem with 3200MHz DDR4 on Ryzen 7 2700X

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Hey,
I have a problem with RAM. Can't get it to actually use 3200MHz. BIOS, by default sets it to 2133MHz,
I can change it manually or by XMP, both methods result in instability (bluescreens) at 3000MHz, above 3000MHz my computer doesn't even POST.
I've tried manually setting the frequency, played around with voltage a bit but to no resaults.

Here's my current build:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16 GB 3200MHz
MOBO: Asus PRIME X470-PRO
PSU: Corsair VS550
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
SSD: SX6000 Pro 512GB M.2
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Which BIOS version you have installed ? 4602 and latest 4804 work perfectly with my Kingston 3600MHz RAM.
Did you test RAM when set to best frequency you can achieve ?
It's also essential for ram to be in A2 and B2 slots.
Ryzen as you probably know is picky with OC RAM and probably best to have a kit of RAM that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL. Make sure your Bios is up to date and I have found better stability if you OC to 4GHz+ if you have liquid cooling. Probably not with Hyper 212 air cooler.

As your RAM is OC then profiles like XMP D.O.C.P will not work and you will have to manually tweak primary timings and voltage. I finished up using Thyiphoon and Ryzen dram calculator to get best settings.

Also you have an entry level borderline bronze rated PSU with not so good capacitors and poor voltage regulation which may cause issues. Voltage efficiency and Wattage becomes very important with the 2700X when Overclocked. That and using a 1080TI and your PSU is really insufficient to maintain stability.

As your system can't past POST, do any MB Leds light up and stay lit?

May 10, 2019
Try one below on the uneven numbers that soemtimes works. Like try 2933 or 3133 whatever is there. What slots are they in? With 4 dimms u need to put em in like this: one open slot from the cpus side. Then insert a module. Leave next slot open. And fill insert in the last one.

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Ryzen as you probably know is picky with OC RAM and probably best to have a kit of RAM that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL. Make sure your Bios is up to date and I have found better stability if you OC to 4GHz+ if you have liquid cooling. Probably not with Hyper 212 air cooler.

As your RAM is OC then profiles like XMP D.O.C.P will not work and you will have to manually tweak primary timings and voltage. I finished up using Thyiphoon and Ryzen dram calculator to get best settings.

Also you have an entry level borderline bronze rated PSU with not so good capacitors and poor voltage regulation which may cause issues. Voltage efficiency and Wattage becomes very important with the 2700X when Overclocked. That and using a 1080TI and your PSU is really insufficient to maintain stability.

As your system can't past POST, do any MB Leds light up and stay lit?
Yea, everything stays lit up, the fans just power on as it tries to start and shut down after a moment, than it goes into safe post with default bios settings. Also I've checked the voltages and they were acceptable, (this is a psu from an old pc I've had, just carried it across to this one), I don't have the actual numbers as I've done it before building it and didn't write them down.

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Try one below on the uneven numbers that soemtimes works. Like try 2933 or 3133 whatever is there. What slots are they in? With 4 dimms u need to put em in like this: one open slot from the cpus side. Then insert a module. Leave next slot open. And fill insert in the last one.
It does work on 2933 but I'm still not giving up on getting it to 3200, also I have 2x8GB sticks in A&B slots for dualchannel

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Which BIOS version you have installed ? 4602 and latest 4804 work perfectly with my Kingston 3600MHz RAM.
I'll check the version but first I'll put them in A2 & B2. Didn't know they have to be in those.

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Yayy it works in A2&B2, cheers. May I know why it works like this tho?

I'll check the version but first I'll put them in A2 & B2. Didn't know they have to be in those.
Yes, it's clearly shown in the manual and my experience also confirms it. Make sure you reset CMOS.
BTW. 4804 has some neat options opened and adjustable, specially for PBO2 which all but eliminates need for OC bringing performance to only few % of OC at 4.3GHz. It finally does what was intended since 1st gen Ryzen "X".

SentiKoji

Reputable
Jun 21, 2017
Yes, it's clearly shown in the manual and my experience also confirms it. Make sure you reset CMOS.
BTW. 4804 has some neat options opened and adjustable, specially for PBO2 which all but eliminates need for OC bringing performance to only few % of OC at 4.3GHz. It finally does what was intended since 1st gen Ryzen "X".
It's not like most people don't read manuals :) Thank you again.

It's not like most people don't read manuals :) Thank you again.
Lol, real men don't and also don't ask for directions on the road.
As for explanation for RAM slots. Many aftermarket CPU coolers have a problem with back fans covering RAM in first slot next to CPU so manufacturers switched to next slot as primary. There has to be a primary and secondary slots because there are 2 memory controllers (primary and secondary) which are in the CPU, not on MB.
Not to get too technical but such system requires new arrangement of traces on the MB so slots are not next to each other.
Edit:
Newest BIOS version I was talking about with those new features is actually 5007 and works great. Make sure you install chipset driver AM4_18.50.16.01 from AMD site before updating BIOS.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS