[SOLVED] Problem with Acer KG241 monitor

Jun 15, 2018
My computer:

Ryzen 5 2600x cpu
Radeon RX 580 8gig gpu
16 gig 3000hz ram
Rog Strix B-350f motherboard
Windows 10 os

I recently purchased an Acer KG241 monitor because I wanted a refresh rate higher than 60hz. I connected the monitor via dvi cable and although the documentation says the monitor will support 120hz at 1920x1080 on dvi it will not let me set the refresh rate above 60hz. When I try the screen goes black for a few seconds then a grey box pops up that says "input not supported". When I look at the advanced display settings it shows Acer KG241 as the display, but if I look at the adapter properties for display 1 it shows up as generic pnp monitor. I've made sure all my drivers for my gpu are up to date, and windows 10 is up to date. I've tried manually installing drivers and downloading drivers from Acer, uninstalling the display in the device manager and detecting hardware changes, uninstalling the display and restarting my computer, tried multiple cables/connections, and the acer rep suggested unplugging everything from the monitor and holding the power button for 30 seconds and nothing, I mean NOTHING, is making it so I can set the refresh rate to what it's supposed to be capable of. Also Acer has the most unhelpful customer service reps I've ever encountered. Been at it for hours trying to figure this crap out and I'm at the end of my rope. Please help.

Solution
It certainly should.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.FX1AA.P01

144 Hz using DisplayPort
120 Hz using HDMI
120 Hz using DVI

But likely has to be Dual-Link DVI, IIRC.

However, any particular reason you're not simply running DisplayPort? That would allow refresh rates up to 144Hz...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It certainly should.

144 Hz using DisplayPort
120 Hz using HDMI
120 Hz using DVI

However, any particular reason you're not simply running DisplayPort? That would allow refresh rates up to 144Hz...

Solution
Jun 15, 2018
It certainly should.

The model of gpu I have only has a dvi port on it

Jun 15, 2018
I was able finally to get it to recognize the monitor so it now shows KG241 instead of generic pnp monitor but it still won't let me change the refresh rate above 60hz >.<. I tried manually selecting the .inf file to install but it says it doesn't have a digital signature. The driver download from Acer has digital signature info for it but in a separate file and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work.

Jun 15, 2018
It certainly should.

I think you may have just solved it. Someone on Acer's community forums posted a 3rd party spec sheet for this monitor and that one said the dvi has to be dual link. Didn't realize it when I bought the cable but it is single link. Guess I'm buying a dual link cable lol. Gonna laugh if it ends up being something so stupidly simple. Kinda pissed that the Acer support rep didn't think to mention that when I told him I was using dvi.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It will definitely need to be Dual-Link, like I mentioned.

Some useful reading for you:

May 26, 2020
I was able finally to get it to recognize the monitor so it now shows KG241 instead of generic pnp monitor but it still won't let me change the refresh rate above 60hz >.<. I tried manually selecting the .inf file to install but it says it doesn't have a digital signature. The driver download from Acer has digital signature info for it but in a separate file and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work.
Hey I just aquiored it myself and have the same problem you did, how did you manage to make it show itself as "KG241" instead of pnp monitor?