problem with AMD FX 9590, it freezes

Sep 27, 2015
hi guys, i have a problem with my PC, it keep freezing like once every two days, i know is not a temperature problem, becasue every time it freezes the CPU temp is like in 30 degree celcius (86 degree Fahrenheit) i don't know exactly what is the problem here, i think its maybe the MOBO or the PSU but i'm not exactly an PC expert, just a amateur geek.
this is my rig:

AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Black Edition
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
EVGA 110-B2-0850-V1 80 PLUS Bronze 850 W Semi-Modular

and well, my cpu have a pre-build water cooling system
Corsair h100i with 4 corsair fans in the radiator

and well both, a SSD and a HDD

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 2.5" 120GB SATA III
and a Seagate 2Tb HDD

like i said, i don't know exactly which is the problem, anyway i'm thinking on switch my MOBO to a better one... so please, if someone can help me i'll be very glad. THANKS

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is no reason to swap out that motherboard, its one of the best AM3+ boards, and one of few that will work properly with the 9590. Now as for the freeing issue, is there anything in particular you are doing when the freeze happens? Does the computer completely freeze or does it reboot? If it freezes if you leave it for a while does it unlock?

Sep 27, 2015

actually, nope, there is nothing specific that i'm doing when in freezes, it just freeze, just like that, it just freeze, not reboot, nothing else, just stay in the window that i'm in the moment... actually right now, i was playing some MMORPG and close every program including the game 'cus i went out for 15 minutes to make dinner, when i came back, the pc was freezed.. so idk what it is exactly

Sep 27, 2015

yeah, actually, i have the lastest BIOS and mobo drivers, i literally download and istall them just a second after i made this question... also the malware scan i already did it... and well the PSU, i don't have acces to a bigger one if i don't buy another one, so, idk, maybe i should try a 1000W one, i thought that the 850W will be fine

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok, so I agree its likely not a temperature problem. Something however is hanging up the system. RAM can do that, I would suggest trying to run memtest to rule out your memory. On top of that I want to be sure you have updated to the latest drivers for all devices, especially your motherboard. Also that board has had some recent BIOS updates to improve system stability, can you first confirm your BIOS version, and then update it if necessary.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

EDIT: Ok just saw your response to tradesman. I would try memtest first to make sure its not a memory issue. As for the PSU its possible but you have a really solid one, and its not like its freezing only during a benchmark.

Sep 27, 2015

yeah, i was very concerned about if it was the PSU, first of all i thougt it was the MOBO but as you said, its a very good one, i mean, there is some ones better but super expensive, and for real, i don't really have that amount of money ... and well the PSU idk, i selected this because i thoug it will be a very solid one, and won't give any trouble, i feel really good with my rig, is a very good one for a good price, but for real, that freezing thing is freaking me out, i'm getting very stressed about it.. so, i will make the memtest now, and will se what happen, i will edit this in a moment

EDIT: so, it just finished 2 memtest tests, and both pass, errors : 0 ... i'm out of clues, the only thing that i can think about is the PSU but i really doub it

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well at least we know the memory is good. Do you know how to get into windows event viewer? If you go to run and type eventvwr or just search in windows 10 for event viewer. When it opens go to criticl and double click in there and see if you see any events, you should check under that, and error and warning. Check around the time you know it froze, just to see if something failed. Sometimes the event info is fairly descriptive.

Even if the 9590 would need more like a 1000watt psu, if its freezing at idle i hesitate to say that is the issue.

Sep 27, 2015

well yeah, i open the event viewer and there is one critical called "Kernel-Power".. there is like 26 Errors and 9 Warnings, i would add some captures from them but, (sorry about that) idk how to share pics here...

EDIT: Unfortunately tonight i will go back to my birthcity for my 10 vacations days, so in 10 days from today i won't be able to use the PC, no one will use it, i live alone here, so i wouldn't be able to check the problem any more until i come back, i really want to solve this, and i'm getting very frustrated, i'm really really thinking about buying a +1000W PSU now, but i don't want to waste mony no-sence 'cus, i don't have enough money to waste now... anyway i hope that we can follow the problem and see what exactly it is when i come back, thank you so much guys, i'll be in contact

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
my build is a
650W psu,
gpu Geforce 970 windforce(because it has knockback)
MD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Black Edition
Samsung 256GB ssd and 500GB ssd
2 8gb 1866Mhz sticks
GA-990FXA-UD5 mobo
Corsair h100 2 fans
also one fan in front and one in back(imo fans only take 5 W each)
you may notice i have 200W less than you and no power issue so 200 more watts won't solve the issue. i could add up my watts and probably be a good 50W under max.
Your bios should also be the newest version from manufactures site (if you downloadedyour drivers/bios from disk you have old versions you want the newest for stability)
To note when i updated the gigabyte bios for my mobo it limits my cpu's clock speed to 4.0 ghz for stability but when turbo boost was still enabled it could jump the speed to 5.0 ghz and freeze the system but when disabled my system stayed max 4.0 Ghz running smoothly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

And hence you never push the processor so you don't need the extra power. You may as well sell it and run a 8350 if you're going to handicap it like that.

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
when you get a 220 W cpu do you then say it needs a 1000W psu? If you look at the TWP of all my components you will soon realize its under 650W and thus a 650W psu will handle the max amount that computer will draw for power. If another person with my same build needed more power to keep their system stable or myself and it was drawing more than 650 W I or them would be looking for shorts and wondering where this power was going and why that component is heating up so much etc. A 220W processor is max 220W and if it draws more you've got some problems coming to your computer.

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
and its not a handicap to run the newest bios so the system runs stably either. As for turbo boosting i can see what you mean there if it momentarily draws more power than its max 220 W thus "handicapping" the cpu if not used but at that point its already going past max specification from manufacture if such a thing does happen where it draws past the chips supposed max TWP.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
TDP does not indicate the amount of wattage needed or being used - it's a measure of the amount of heat generated that the rigs cooling system needs to deal with. Also I didn't suggest 1,000 watt, the PSU recommendation is what AMD put out with the release of the CPU. As mentioned above, if you're running one of these down at 4 GHz to be stabile it's a sign you don't have the power to run it as it should, and may also indicate that you are on the edge of the PSUs capabilities, which can lead to failure of the PSU (and whatever it may decide to take with it ;) )

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
the 4.0 Ghz is what my motherboard manufacture decided to set the clock speed to from bios by default for the fx 9590 cpu's for the GA-990FXA-UD5 rev 3.1 bios. The versions name is FB and is currently the only downloadable bios on gigabytes site for this revision of the mobo. Currently I'm not overclocking my system and this is what the manufacture deemed necessary for this chip in my mobo not because my system couldn't handle it which like you have said but because they deemed it necessary. As for what psu is compatible with this chip on amd's site its stated that 650W or more is sufficient also the psu can more than handle it https://pcpartpicker.com/part/fsp-group-power-supply-pt650m .

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Other's have run the 9590 at full speed and even OCed them on rev 3.1 of that mobo, (even ver 3.0)

I'd hardly use partpicker as a reference for compatibility ;) or at best only for bare basic compatibility. i.e. have seen builds with 2666 DRAM and a FX 6300, which yes, the 6300 can run 2666, sadly though only at about 1866

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
If TDP = power consumption, this would mean that 100% of the electrical energy is converted into thermal energy, meaning a processing unit is nothing more than a heat producer. It possible to go over TDP but that would mean it would be running at 100% cpu or more/overclocked past spec. So TDP is actually a pretty good estimation of max power used when running not overclocked. Since this spec is found by running the cpu's at max load. To note when i play witcher 3 on ultra setting on my computer it runs at about 30% cpu and before i had bios updated and turbo boost off my computer would freeze at times. It was nowhere near the max load and thus nowhere near the max TDP. Also heat is given off your cpu and when they tested TDP the reason they use that to get wattage used is because you can guess the energy pushed through that cpu to cause that heat pretty accurately since the size of transistors used 32 nm and the general architecture of the cpu . But ya before this i assumed it was pretty close to TDP to wattage used but since not all energy is converted to heat it can go above that when fully loaded. On that note TDP is 20-30% lower than Maximum power dissipation which is essentially where there is maximum core voltage, maximum temperature and maximum signal loading conditions in which case your chip can handle no more or it will start to melt. But i guess if i wanted to not worry i could get a psu 20-30% over TDP and i would be fine even in the worse case scenario where your cpu is essentially producing just heat and anymore would start to melt. But due to the effiency of my psu my wattage is actually closer to 750W making that worry negligible. Also 850W is more than enough(about 200W) more than needed unless the poster decided to overlock and run another gpu then he might have problems till then though listening to manufacture might work out.

Greenpernod

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
pcpartspicker link above is my exact model FSP Group AURUM 92+ 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2753586/9590-running-0ghz-7ghz.html if you go and use FC bios for rev 3.0 of my mobo you can get 4.7 ghz but is not compatible /issues with rev3.1 which is FB bios which is the one that limits to 4.0 ghz. i can get 4.7 if i use FC but its for a different mobo revision and causes issues as stated before.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
That PSU only carries about 575 on the 12 volt rail and I believe is a 4 rail 12 volt set up, so 650 is near peak. Not 750. Power efficiency isn't indicative of how much power a PSU CAN put out, it's how well it takes the power sup[plied to it and converts it into power for use by the rig. Say you go from a standard 80+ to an 80+ Platinum, the platinum will require about 40 less watts from the circuit (AC wall socket) it's plugged into to supply an equal amount of power from a standard 80 80 plus efficient PSU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Look you can theorize all you want, in the end you are underpowering the system and you have (or your board has) downclocked your processor by almost 1 full GHZ. If I spent the extra money over an 8350 or 8370 for a 9590 I damn well would want it to be full speed. You don't need the extra PSU power because you aren't using it. BTW you are crazy if you somehow believe a Platinum PSU because of efficiency is putting out 100 more watts than it is rated at. Thats not what that efficiency rating means whatsoever.

You keep saying that it was "deemed necessary" for your CPU to run at 4ghz, except there are plenty of folks on this forum who have it at 4.7 or higher on ASUS Sabertooths, Maximus, and even your board. And your Turbo mode doesn't work either! If thats what you need to tell yourself to believe that your stuff is working right then sure, but the fact is you are downclocking the CPU to make it stable, and the reason for that? 1 is probably a motherboard issue you seem to not want to accept, and 2 what you also don't want to accept is that you are underpowering it. Not only that you assume that 220 is the max it can draw, I've seen tests showing it drawing 250 under load, and folks have said here they've seen it draw a spike of as much as 306 watts in turbo mode. Google it, you will find this info in seconds.

AMD straight up recommends a 1000 watt PSU, and I believe it, when the PSU and motherboard combo alone can spike to nearly 400+ watts and you want to run a GPU that will take another 375 max watts on its own, 650 ain't gonna cut it, and even 750 is close. 850 should be good enough but as you get near 100% output it gets less efficient, and his is a Bronze.

Sep 27, 2015

wow, well, this came really big haha, i just came back home from my very short vacations... well, i haven't enabled the turbo boost, so that makes me even more confused, because when i just build my pc, the CPU was turbo boost overlocked so it was at 5.2 or something like that (i don't remember exactly) so i disabled the turbo boost and it stability a little bit, but it still freezing sometimes so i don't really know what it is exactly.

i have the lastest BIOS version already installed
here i will add some CPU-Z and Event Viewer Captures

ZHGtsfs.png

08a7ClY.png

AhU1QUM.png

yJSnqzS.png

NfL8eQ0.png

GOxthju.png

0qgbSmt.png

RA1z3x3.png

0HZUS2W.png

3Jkm7NU.png