• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question Problem with an external HDD

neprotivo

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
Hello! I've been using a Silicon Power (2 TB) external HDD for a while, maybe 5 years already, and I haven't had any problems so far. However, when I plugged it in today, the computer couldn't recognize it for some reason. The HDD's light turns on and you can hear the usual sound, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I tested it on another computer, and even the TV, but the same thing happens. I can see it in Disk Management, but it says Unknown and Not Initialized, and there's some huge (unrealistic) number of GB, under which it says Unallocated. I tried a few programs - some don't recognize it, others do - but they don't do much. If you try to initialize the HDD, it says that's not possible because of I/O error. Does anyone have any idea what exactly is going on with the HDD and whether an expert could fix it ? I haven't had any problems with the HDD so far, and it appears that it turns on (light and sound), but the computer just doesn't recognize it. Thanks!

Here is a screenshot of what I see in Disk Management:

Screenshot

lvt

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Maybe the HDD enclosure's board has failed.

You can open the enclosure, remove the HDD and connect it directly to your computer. There is a chance that the HDD itself is ok.

neprotivo

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
It is a laptop. Will there be any difference if I try on a desktop ? And I honestly don't feel comfortable removing the HDD myself. I always worry that I might mess something up. But I could give it to some expert.

lvt

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
It is a laptop. Will there be any difference if I try on a desktop ? And I honestly don't feel comfortable removing the HDD myself. I always worry that I might mess something up. But I could give it to some expert.
Normally you will need an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter to connect your HDD to the laptop.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS