Problem with autonegotiating

ZFR77

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hi,
I got a new broadband package and received a new Technicolor TC7200 router.

I'm using 2 machines to connect to it. A laptop with Windows 7 and an old 6-year-old desktop using Windows XP.

Laptop works without a problem both wired and wireless. The problem is when I connect the desktop (wired). If I set my ethernet card to autonegotiating, internet connection becomes real slow. Even connecting to the router configuration 192.168.0.1 can take 30 seconds or more.
So I updated my ehternet card drivers. This didn't help.
So I tried changing settings from Autonegotiating to "autoneg for 100FD" or "100 Full duplex". It almost solved my problem. Connecting to internet became very fast. Almost. From time to time (every few to 15 minutes) I "lose" connection. It either gets stuck on "Connecting to www.example.com..." or simply displays "Cannot connect to www.example.com". Happens even with websites that normally load very fast (google, amazon...). Lasts about 30 secs to 1 minute, after which it runs fine again. Strangely though, skype, downloads... etc usually don't get interrupted.

Since My laptop appears to work fine, I don't think it's a problem with cable/router.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

sturm

Splendid
Have you reset both router and modem?
Be sure to boot the modem first, wait for it to finish booting, then plug in the router. Once it's up, turn on the computers.

ZFR77

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
The modem and router are one unit. I tried resetting yesterday already.
Anyway, it seems better today. While the Autoneg is still working very slowly, "Autonego for 100FD" seems to work much better than yesterday.

EDIT: spoke too soon. Losing connection still happens though arguably less often.