Question Problem with external HDD on mac

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Hello.

So my girlfriend has a mac and is storing pictures on a external hdd. She was out of space on the mac and decided to use the external hdd to update the mac. Now the external HDD has moved the files inside Reallocated items or something, we found the pictures that is not the problem. The problem is that the drive is not showing up anymore in Finder, I can see in the disk utility that there is a volume called Update and Harddisk data. How do I restore the external harddisk to normal use and get rid of all the system files and updates? Its not usable as it is now as it doesnt show up. When I click deactivate on Harddisk data and activate again it gives me error. Could not activate <Harddisk>. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter-feil-119930868.)
I dont have alot of experience with mac or with harddisk other than formatting.

Thanks.

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Are you able to do a complete back up of your files both on the Mac and the External?

And do you know where all the photos are?

I dont know how I can backup the files on the external hdd, when I plug it into my W10 computer nothing pops up, I guess I need a third party program? I can only see the photo folder on the external hdd now, but the only way I can open the external hdd is by opening up disk utility and right clicking the harddisk data volume.

All the photos are on the external hdd.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Its a Mac. The file system you will not see on Windows (unless FAT). Recommend an additional external and do a back up via Time Machine. Or Backblaze. Before you do anything else.

Its best to know where the photos are first. You would not want to loose them.

All this on the Mac, no PC or third party intervention. : )

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Its a Mac. The file system you will not see on Windows (unless FAT). Recommend an additional external and do a back up via Time Machine. Or Backblaze. Before you do anything else.

Its best to know where the photos are first. You would not want to loose them.

All this on the Mac, no PC or third party intervention. : )
What should I do after the files are backed up? Reformat the external hdd?

Mrkzie

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
Once the files are backed up. Disconnect the external and make sure the OS works on the Mac.

You should not have to do anything to the external. Let me know what the external looks like once you do the above steps.
So the harddisk looks like this. Does not show up in finder as you can see. Any quick fix for the external hdd?
33526-E9-E-9-A9-F-46-CA-8-EF0-0-D1-DF623-E232.jpg
A7-DB309-F-C227-48-BC-AE50-AE2-F1-F1-D5-D88.jpg
DD2-D5817-223-D-444-A-917-B-D0-A6-B3-B675-E4.jpg
A7-EAECB9-B27-C-42-F2-B89-C-B2190-D92-D9-B7.jpg