[SOLVED] Problem with Linksys EA8300 only connecting to wan at 100mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2021
So after Spectrum (my internet provider) came and checked to make sure they were delvivering 400 Mbps to my cable modem and Vefied that Cat 6 cable connect to modem to router was also getting 400 mbps then he did test on router (EA8300) it was only 90 MBPS
So never trusting anyone i connected my laptop directly to cable modem rebooted all and got 1GB connect and 400 MBPs Plus speed connect, I disconnect and plug back in to router reset and reboot router with no joy. I contacted Linksys, of course we went throught the script and i did everything they asked still not connection , well the say my cable is bad well tested again seems find got another cable (i havae tester its fine) CAT 6 cable. tested with laptop and modem its fine 394 mbs which is fine. back to router no change. Im going in circles i think .I cant change Wan port speed manually (no place in interface) and its diagnostic shows it set at 10/100 not 1 GB I dont want to by a new linksys and have same problem any suggestions either on fix or a good replacment.

Solution
Cat8 cables are very likely fakes. There is no approved standard for cat8 yet and they are for 100gbit so they would be extremely expensive if they existed.

Buy cat5e they tend to have less fakes. You want pure copper wire (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)
I would swap the cable between the cable modem and router again. Something is wrong there.

Rarely, there is an actual issue between the two devices where they can't negotiate a gigabit link--whenever I've had that issue, a simple unmanaged switch in between the devices solves the issue.

Your cheapest option is going to be to try a number of new ethernet cables and hope to get lucky. Some ports are not very tolerant of any cable that is even slightly out of spec. Unless you have a extremely expensive cable tester it does not mean much. Cheap cable tester only verify that you can get battery power to a led, they do not test if you can actually pass data. There is a massive amount of fake ethernet cable being sold and some devices do not function on these cables.

You could plug your pc into the wan port of the router. It will not actually work but you can see the speed it connects at in the pc settings. If multiple cables do not work connecting to both the router and the pc you start to suspect a bad port in the router. It is extremely rare for a ethernet port to fail so I doubt this is the issue.

Reactions: SamirD
May 3, 2021
thanks ordering a couple different cables (belkin, cat 6, and 8) also have small 4 port gigabit netgear unmanaged switch to put in between will try as well
will report back.

Cat8 cables are very likely fakes. There is no approved standard for cat8 yet and they are for 100gbit so they would be extremely expensive if they existed.

Buy cat5e they tend to have less fakes. You want pure copper wire (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)

Solution
May 3, 2021
So thanks for all the feedback, I had a 10/100/1000 linksys unmanaged switch and a couple new cat 6 cables (rated correctly)

I tired just new cat 6 cable from Linksys to the Cable modem ( still getting 10/100 to the Linksys Router) After full reset of both.
I then put the unmanaged switch between the modem and the router. the switch shows 1GB connect to the modem (both are showing correctly lights as well)
So i plugged router into switch and it still only got 10/100, I reset router again still no go.. WTF.

So thanks for all the feedback, I had a 10/100/1000 linksys unmanaged switch and a couple new cat 6 cables (rated correctly)

I tired just new cat 6 cable from Linksys to the Cable modem ( still getting 10/100 to the Linksys Router) After full reset of both.
I then put the unmanaged switch between the modem and the router. the switch shows 1GB connect to the modem (both are showing correctly lights as well)
So i plugged router into switch and it still only got 10/100, I reset router again still no go.. WTF.
Super strange that the router won't link at gigabit with the switch in between--especially it also being a linksys. At this point, I would say that the router has a damaged port or other damage somehow.

Ok cool anyone have suggestions on routers something medium range (not low end) doesn't have to be highend but if price is right ...
I would call Linksys about this as a warranty issue. This shouldn't happen at all. I would also try a netgear or tplink switch as for whatever reason the linksys switch is not behaving. This is actually the strangest nic negotiation issue I've ever seen...

May 3, 2021
I would call Linksys about this as a warranty issue. This shouldn't happen at all. I would also try a netgear or tplink switch as for whatever reason the linksys switch is not behaving. This is actually the strangest nic negotiation issue I've ever seen...
Totally agree I have never seen a router not reset even after full factory reset. I have case open with Linksys but they are pretty useless...

Status
Not open for further replies.