Question Problem with Microsoft Xbox Game Controller

owenmahamilton

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Hi, I hope someone can help me please, I have a wireless Xbox Game Controller which is connected to a PC running Windows 10. I've had it for a few years and I am almost sure that when I plugged it in when I first got it, there were no problems at all with it, but some time ago, after a Windows update (I don't recall which one) the Xbox button would be unlit after starting the computer whereas it used to be lit at startup, this is quite annoying as I am sure that it never used to be that I would have to press the Xbox button just to get the controller recognised. So can anybody tell me if there is something I can do so that I don't have to press the Xbox button on the controller each time I turn the computer on? Thank you. I guess this should be in the hardware section of the forum but I couldn't see where to put it so if someone wants to move it to a more relevant place, feel free.

I’ve been using XBox One/Elite/Elite II/Series X controllers for years and they have never turned on with the pc. They don’t do it with the XBox either.

Personally I would not want them to as it’s just wasting battery as I use the pc for more than gaming and many of my games I don’t use a controller.

owenmahamilton

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Can anyone help with this? I thought I had fixed it by pressing the XBox button on the controller with the PC off which would make the XBox button flash and then turning on the PC once it had finished loading the button would stop flashing, I must have done something wrong somewhere as now the controller doesn't appear to be detected by Windows 10 at all. To clarify my set up, the controller is connected to the computer to a USB 2.0 port via a micro USB cable. I also have the XBox battery pack in the controller as well. I tried removing that and just having the USB cable connected but that didn't appear to make any difference at all.