Problem with monitor won't turn on

sideris

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
So earlier this year I made a post here saying my monitor won't turn on. It didn't even have the light on even though it was connected to functional socket. But then all of sudden after two months one morning it went back on and worked like a charm for almost 7 months without any problems. Then it started to turn off again and I turned it back on by disconnecting the monitor and PC from the sockets, then holding both power buttons for about a minute, connected it to the sockets and it worked again.
But now it did it again and I'd really need some help how to fix it.
1. I made sure there's working electricity in the sockets
2. Tried the PC with another monitor i borrowed and the pc is working just fine with

So I'm guessing the problem is the monitor. I was reading something about batteries or something inside the monitor being burnt or just they lived long enough and died.
But if that was the case, it wouldn't turn on back than and work for another 7 months right?
I don't know what to do and any help would be nice. It is kind of a old monitor, tho.
Let me know what you think. Thank you for any help.

Solution
Personally I'd take it apart and check all of the caps and make sure there is no corrosion but if you're not comfortable with that you should take it to a shop, shouldn't cost too much for them to look at it.

Is it a gaming monitor or just some generic dell/acer/hp monitor? If its not a gaming monitor you should be able to find a replacement pretty easy. I live in a rural area and often see monitors at the local goodwill or VOA for no more than $15 and almost always they're 1080p - I got one for $6 and a bigger one for $14

Rkyle

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Could be an issue related to the GPU, a year ago I had a monitor that would only display static or just would not wake up. Connecting a different monitor solved the issue, or just connecting the culprit monitor to the integrated graphics also solved it. Also have you tried different cables??

sideris

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Tried different cables, but didn't work.
But that's the thing, that the monitor display literally nothing, makes no noise, literally sits there blank, even the power button is off and won't turn on .
Like I said, the desktop PC is working perfectly fine with another monitor I borrowed.
I'm no PC expert, tho, so I really had no clue what's wrong with it.

Rkyle

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Personally I'd take it apart and check all of the caps and make sure there is no corrosion but if you're not comfortable with that you should take it to a shop, shouldn't cost too much for them to look at it.

Is it a gaming monitor or just some generic dell/acer/hp monitor? If its not a gaming monitor you should be able to find a replacement pretty easy. I live in a rural area and often see monitors at the local goodwill or VOA for no more than $15 and almost always they're 1080p - I got one for $6 and a bigger one for $14

Solution

TRENDING THREADS