[SOLVED] Problem with Mozilla Thunderbird for Usenet newsgroups.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I used to be quite active on Usenet newsgroups but haven't been so for several years. Today I downloaded and installed Mozilla Thunderbird and registered for an account at the free newsserver news.eternal-september.org. I set up my user account in T-bird using eternal-september as the newsserver. At no stage did it ask me if the newsserver needed logging in with an ID and password (which usually happens when setting up a newsreader account)..

When I go to "Manage newsgroup subscriptions", it shows only a list of the server's own newsgroups, not the thousands of newsgroups on Usenet. The "New Groups" tab is blank and clicking the "Refresh" button doesn't download any new groups list. And still doesn't ask me to log in.

I've used Thunderbird and other newsreaders with Eternal-September and other newsservers before, but, as already mentioned, they were quite some time ago. I could have missed something. I checked the server at isitdownrightnow.com and it's reported as up and running. Can anybody please help?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
EDIT: There's one thing to try out after reading the FAQs on the newsserver's site. Will report back after.

GOT IT.
Turns out that the current version of Thunderbird no longer asks during account setup if a specified newsserver requires logging in. It has to be manually set up later to ask for a username and password.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cilantro7536