problem with my cpu clock speed

edboy558

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
i have an e8400, 3 GHz Core 2 Duo
in cpu-z, clock speed is at 2 GHz
cpu-z says multiplier is at 6, should be at 9 (bios says multiplier will be at 9)

mobo is g31t-m (i know it sucks)
using AC Freezer 7 Pro Cooler and Arctic Silver 5

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
LOL, to answer the question, Its normal, nothing is wrong. Put a load on it and watch it shoot back up. EIST and C1E(Enhanced Halt) turn them off if you want it to run @ 3ghz all the time.

They are in Advanced BIOS Features, leave CPU Thermal Monitor 2 on though.

Here they are,

E6750-Q6600-Overclocking-Gigabyte-BIOS,0-A-55738-3.jpg

edboy558

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
i changed the EIST and C1E and the thing still shows 2 GHz in cpu-z
what now?
i used orthos to put a load and still 2 GHz

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Those are the only two settings that would affect the multiplier. Check your temps with Core Temp, you might be throttling due to high temps. Especially if you are using the stock heatsink, it has mounting problems. If your temps are OK then reset the BIOS and set the C1E and EIST to disabled again.

osmd

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Disable Cpu Thermal Monitor 2 (Tm2) ..
Is doesnt work try in the bios main window ctrl + f1 and enter advance mode and change the multiplier manually... i have g31 with a e2180 at 2.08 (312*9) and perfect estable ...3.00Ghz with software EasyTune5 Pro ffrom Gigabyte...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
TM1/2 in the BIOS needs to be enabled or the chip won't throttle when it overheats. TM2 is the throttling that I mentioned earlier, it will save the CPU.
He has an ECS mobo not Gigabyte.
Never use software to OC, use the BIOS settings instead.

osmd

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008

Disabling Tmonitor helps me to ensure stability when i overclocked my cpu use thermal monitor when just ecced for example 70C or lower if u want ...otherwise the G31 motherboard dont let reach stable overclok and i never pass 63C at 3.00Ghz

I know i just want to say he can sell that piece of ... u know what and buy a decent brand with solid capacitors...

I would never be able to overclock at 3.00GHZ without software so dont talk about it if dont know ablout it... thats why Gigabyte give u that option if somehow could be lethal for u equipment u think the brand would risk to warranty reclaim...
cmon just dont use backgrounds programs and do it in slow amounts ... and set up ur speed ram at 555-18 ...
More estable ... the G31 motherboard dont let me reach 3.00Ghz value at least in Gigabyte like to many other users out there ...but theres is a catch only works in vista...

Peace Zorg and dont criticize my statement make ur own ...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Oouuch.

I don't know what you are running, but you may have an abnormally low PROCHOT# i.e., 63C. Disabling TM2 puts you at risk for damaging the CPU, but it's your CPU. Maybe you should get better cooling instead of disabling the internal overheat protection. I'm assuming, and hoping, you are using Core Temp and not reading the case temp. If you suggest disabling TM2 as an option, then you should mention that it disables the processors internal overheat protection and could lead to the death of the CPU.

I wasn't saying that you couldn't OC through windows, I was saying that is not the best way to OC. A more stable OC is achieved through the BIOS. You say your mobo can't do it and that may or may not be true, I don't know the model of your mobo.

PM me your specs and I'll see if you can do it through the BIOS.

osmd

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Hi Zorg and thks for ur prompt answer yeah theres no need to fight and u were saying i should warn about TM2 and u r right i appology in anycase but this Dual Core processors really dont warn the Cpu so much like the Core2Duos or the Hot Quads for example i remember a Toms Review where they test A Dual Core E2160 without Heatthink and Fan and run Orthos without problem even they went 2 crazy and overclok the Cpu withou Heatsink (OMG) and i almost drop death when this superb resistant chip could run orthos without any shut down ...impressive ... but the E2140 and the E2180 didnt ... the last 2 didnt fry but the mainboard shutdown in orthos ...

Anyway the program to test my Cpu Heat was Speedfan and Coretemp gave me the same results but with speed fun i can have a log reporting the maximun obtained and so the RPM fan speed 63C at 2400 RPM.. im using a heatsing and fan from the Pentium D (Bigger FAN and Cooper Base) and my processot model is the E2180 2.00GHz default (200*10) i generally overclok with a 9 multiplier because tends to be more estable ...8 worst results in 3d mark ... my motherboard is a Gigabyte G31M-S2L that says Quadcore but only truly can hold QuadCores with 1066 maximun of bus ...1333 and the system will not boot ...there are many reviews about this ...

I think the real limitation factor is the ICH7 Southbridge that can only overclock upto 2.81 anyfurther and all just go to hell..

Even theres a video in youtube with a boy saying the samething ...
The ICH9(P35) Southbridge really manage to achieve further speeds but i cannot could afford it because i want a motherboard with video onboard in case i sell my videocard ..i dont have an old one ...

My memory ... Corsair XMS2 800 bus C5 2X1GB Dual Channel ...

Video card PNY 8800GTS ...

I hope u can give me new lights or ideas in this regard ...

Thanks you for the interest my friend...

Omar

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'll take a look at the manual and Private Message you instead of hijacking this thread any further. Check the top left of any thread for the red Private Message and click it.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I don't think anyone said this, but what about getting the latest bios version? I also think it's better to OC through the bios than through windows since it'll give you the best possible results.

Also, do you have the latest version of CPU-Z?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I saw this and didn't really think about it, but doesn't everyone update to the latest release on a new build? I guess not.