Question problem with overcloaking i5 11600k

jimissnake

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
i just bought an 11600k with a z590 gigabite ud ac mobo and i tried to oc...my last cpu was 4770k wich i had him with no problem at 4.4 with 1.177v core....at start eavrything seem ok but honestly i try olmost eavrything i can think of or i am missing something....the problem is wen my cpu reach fuul load on a stress test for exaple cpuz all cores goes 4.6ghz no matter what overcloak i do its always the same for exaple i set core ratio at 50-49-48-48-47-47 and max boost ratio at the same lvl and wen i log to windows it does hit 5ghz but wen i stress it up its always the same, i dont have huge expiriance with ocing my cpu so many things were on auto in side bios tho i try to desable all power save fetures both on bios and on my windows so i am pretty sure its something i miss on bios for the most part can any1 tell me that settings i can safely alter to start get anything over 4.6 on full load so i can work my way up ?

Intel CPUs use turbo boost to reach maximum speed so enable this in the BIOS.

You also need to adjust the turbo power limits. When the turbo power limits are set to default values, it is normal for the CPU to slow down when it is fully loaded during a stress test. I set my turbo power limits to the maximum value, 4095, so they never interfere with maximum performance.

You can use ThrottleStop to check what the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits are set to.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

sTdOMPW.png

The Limit Reasons window will show you any reasons for throttling.

oNmPCTa.png

TVB indicates that Thermal Velocity Boost is the reason for throttling. If you are still having problems, post lots of screenshots of ThrottleStop and I can help you out.

Last edited:
Post pictures of ThrottleStop while your CPU is loaded. Open the Limit Reasons window so I can see if there are any reasons for throttling being reported. Show the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see if the BIOS is setting your CPU up correctly.

There is always a reason for throttling. I cannot help you if you do not post any screenshots or information.

Limit Reasons shows TVB throttling. That reduces the CPU speed 100 MHz when the CPU reaches 70°C. That is why your CPU is going back and forth between 4600 MHz and 4700 MHz. If you want to eliminate this type of throttling, go into the FIVR window and clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box. This setting should also be available in the BIOS.

If you make any changes in the BIOS, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop again. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will use whatever settings you previously saved to ThrottleStop.

The FIVR window will also show you what the turbo ratio limits are set to. If you want multipliers higher than 47, check the Speed Shift option in the TPL window and set Speed Shift Max higher than 47.

jimissnake

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Limit Reasons shows TVB throttling. That reduces the CPU speed 100 MHz when the CPU reaches 70°C. That is why your CPU is going back and forth between 4600 MHz and 4700 MHz. If you want to eliminate this type of throttling, go into the FIVR window and clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box. This setting should also be available in the BIOS.

If you make any changes in the BIOS, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop again. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will use whatever settings you previously saved to ThrottleStop.

The FIVR window will also show you what the turbo ratio limits are set to. If you want multipliers higher than 47, check the Speed Shift option in the TPL window and set Speed Shift Max higher than 47.

so i did remove both options for throttlestop in the bios and i manage to oc it bit more i set 50-50-47-47-47-47 and it does work ok it never fll below 4714 on full stress at all cores and some times it hits 5ghz on 2 radrom cores oltho voltage is bit high and all over the place since its on auto i see from 1,020 wen idle up to 1.464 for few sec and then radrom numbers bettwen those..what is the best power options in bios since my coolermaster 240L is not the best watercooling solution out there tho i add 2 more fans on top so its push and pull atm wich improve the temperatures just bit

What monitoring software are you using that reports 4714 MHz? The multiplier during a full load stress test should be steady at 47.00 and the BCLK should be steady at 100.000 MHz for a total of 4700.000 MHz. ThrottleStop should be reporting this correctly. Oscillator chips that determine the BCLK speed tend to be rock solid stable. Any BCLK variation is typically monitoring software error. Ignore this.

When the CPU is using different turbo ratios and is lightly loaded, the CPU multiplier and voltage can be varying hundreds of times per second. Use HWiNFO to monitor the Vcore voltage. Ignore the reported VID voltage.

If you want less voltage, try entering a negative offset into the BIOS. Usually a negative offset of between -50 mV and -100 mV is stable. That can help improve full load temperatures.

jimissnake

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
thanks i manage to hit 4.8ghz on all clocks with calibration normal and vcore no more than 1.4 it mostly stays around 1,380 hoe the off set works exacly?? what a good voltage will be for my cpu to start with? olso how i can overcloack only core 1 and 2 and leve others lower for exaple 50-50-47-47-47-47? wen i try do that it stays at the lower core on full stress test and it only hit 50 on windows wen idle, ολσο ισ 1,404vcore safe? wen i am on windows i see it some times stays there for bit

Last edited: