Jun 1, 2021
Recently over the past couple of months my pc has been freezing and then blackscreening, when it blackscreens the fans are still running and the motherboard light is on, but I am unable to do anything and when I try switch it off by the power button it doesnt work, even if I hold it down, the only solution is to switch it off and on again by the switch on the back of the power supply. This allows me to turn it on with the power button and it restarts and shows a windows screen saying "Scanning and reparing C drive". This issue has happened 4 or 5 times in the past month or so. However, last night when I went to bed I shut it down like normal and this morning when I went to switch it on by the power button, the motherboard light was on (the fans were not), but it wouldnt switch on, I had to switch it off by the power supply switch for 5 minutes and then it would switch on with the power button. Again it said "Scanning and repairing C drive" Im not sure if it said "Attempting to scan and repair" or just "Scanning and Repairing". My C drive is my NVMe SSD and only has 41 GB available out of 465 GB, so I'm not sure if thats the issue or what. My power supply is also plugged into an extension cord, could that be the issue?

My specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit operating system

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AMD AM4 B450 ATX gaming motherboard with DDR4 3200MHz support, SATA 6Gbps, HDMI 2.0, dual NVMe M.2, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and Aura Sync RGB LED lighting

RAM: G.Skill F4-3000C16D-16GISB Aegis 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16 1.35V Black Desktop Memory

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti

Power Supply: Corsair CX 450M

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six - Core Processor 3.60 GHz

SSD: WD Blue SN500 M.2 NVMe SSD (My operating system is on here)

HDD : 3TB WD Blue

Solution
They still look good and the temps also look good.
Two things I might try.
Setup HWInfo to log to a file and leave it running all the time until it crashes.....then look at the file.
Another thing it could be is memory.
You have two sticks....I would find out in the MB manual which slot is for one stick only....I would power down....and try one stick and run like that for a while to see if it crashes.....if it does...i'd run on the other stick for a while. It may be one bad stick.
I first would suspect the PSU.
If you can keep it running for any length of time...run HWInfo and check the voltages....and check the temps while you're there. See if you can put some load on it without crashing and check them.
If it crashes on you....setup HWInfo to log to a file and you check them after.
The voltages are in the MB section. They should be within 5% of +12V, +5V and + 3.3V.
You might be able to check the voltages in the BIOS.....but they aren't under much load.....but if they are bad in the BIOS....you don't have to check them anywhere else....and just get a new PSU.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021
I first would suspect the PSU.
If you can keep it running for any length of time...run HWInfo and check the voltages....and check the temps while you're there. See if you can put some load on it without crashing and check them.
If it crashes on you....setup HWInfo to log to a file and you check them after.
The voltages are in the MB section. They should be within 5% of +12V, +5V and + 3.3V.
Okay, will give this a try, thank you!

Jun 1, 2021
Run it....I think you click on "sensors".

It will record the high and low values.
Hi again,

Sorry for the slow reply I had to go out earlier. I did what you said, but im not 100% sure where to be looking, so i attached a picture of the window, I also included a picture of the system summary. Does this look alright?

yUG2jmG.png

Jun 1, 2021
I would say yes, but not always, sometimes when I alt tab out of a game loading screen and back in again it freezes and then blackscreens. Once it happened when I was just chilling in discord with friends.

Jun 1, 2021
What happens under load is the voltages generally drop and if they drop too low you get a crash or black screen.
I see, well it seems fine, I just played GTA V for about 5 minutes and it seems fine, ill upload another screenshot so you can see the maximum and miniumum voltage it got too.

4ZQ5axw.png

Two things I might try.
Setup HWInfo to log to a file and leave it running all the time until it crashes.....then look at the file.
You have two sticks....I would find out in the MB manual which slot is for one stick only....I would power down....and try one stick and run like that for a while to see if it crashes.....if it does...i'd run on the other stick for a while. It may be one bad stick.

Solution
Jun 1, 2021
Two things I might try.
Okay, ill do the first thing you said first and wait for it to crash, if that doesnt work I will try the second thing. Thanks again for all your help, Ill post again when and if it crashes :)