Problem with Samsung SH-S223F

dalex2093

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hi,

I have the following problem: I just bought a new PC 4 months ago. It really looked like a good deal till it started to have some problems with the front 120 mm fan 2 months ago. After 3-4 hours working on the computer I started to hear a strange noise comming from the fan. It happened daily till it stoped a few days ago. I tought the problem was gone. Now I'm having problems with my CD/DVD drive which is an Samsung TSSTCorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA device. The problem is that after playing a few times Rainbow Six Vegas ( the DVD has a big scratch on it that i ingnored) the player stopped reading the DVD. My first taught was that the problem was relied to that scratch and decided to change DVD. I've chosen to use GTA 4 (it doesn't have any scratches on it) and I saw that the DVD reader didn't read it. Then I took a music CD and played it. The problem was that the CD/DVD drive took a lot of time to load the CD and even when it was done the music wasn't clear at all. I could only hear strange noises.
Can somebody tell me why is this happening and how to repair it cuz' i don't wanna buy a new DVD/CD player and have the same thing?? Do you think I should use a Lens Cleaner or it's a different problem??

Thanks,

dalex2093

EKoreman

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Hello, my SH-S223F suddenly stopped to work too. This was discovered while trying to boot a Windows7 install DVD. At start-up the PC kept at 'start from DVD' or something while there came no prompt to actually boot from DVD. After removing the DVD the OS started immediately. I've tried several DVD's and CD's. Nothing. No booting, no browsing from within Windows (Vista business 32b, all patched, all latest drivers, firmware). Today I upgraded the drive's firmware to SB03 and I also did a lot of testing with tools. Nothing. The drive seams dead, although it is not listed as defective in the BIOS nor Windows and it does eject media when prompted.

Regarding the many postings on forums and sites about this particular DVD writer (as early as 2008) it seems that there are some major issues with this device. Frankly I don't understand why this defective drive was shipped to me last summer. It was even recommended at several sites. Next time I will double check user experiences with every single component before ordering.

I've contacted my vendor for RMA (return) today and will use an old drive in the meantime.