Problem with Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro

Two problems with my current video card:

1) When I power on the computer no display comes up and the system
speaker says "System fail VGA test." However, if I reset the computer,
it starts up fine.

2) When rendering in 3D, I get all kinds of display issues:

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6039/untitled21cm.th.jpg

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5173/untitled9vv.th.jpg

(Sorry I didn't post thumbnails)

Only certain games give me this issue, Deus Ex being one of the worst.
Things like Doom III are absolutely unplayable. I get pretty decent
frames with anything I play too. I'm rather confident that this is a
video card issue though, a serious one at that. I had these problems
with my old system, and I upgraded every component of my PC (even the
power supply) EXCEPT the card, and I still have these problems.

What I'm wondering is if this is something that can be resolved without
having to purchase a new card. I get the most recent drivers ATI
releases (I'm running catalyst 5.9 now) and it never is fixed. Any
ideas would be much appreciated.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"UNbacon" <and115@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Two problems with my current video card:
>
> 1) When I power on the computer no display comes up and the system
> speaker says "System fail VGA test." However, if I reset the computer,
> it starts up fine.
>
> 2) When rendering in 3D, I get all kinds of display issues:
>
> http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6039/untitled21cm.th.jpg
>
> http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5173/untitled9vv.th.jpg

Sorry, I find those images way too small to even tell there's an issue let
alone what kind. Did this card work fine until now and just started giving
symptoms?

peter

Re-seat your card.

On 22 Sep 2005 19:54:15 -0700, "UNbacon" <and115@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Two problems with my current video card:
>
>1) When I power on the computer no display comes up and the system
>speaker says "System fail VGA test." However, if I reset the computer,
>it starts up fine.
>
>2) When rendering in 3D, I get all kinds of display issues:
>
>http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6039/untitled21cm.th.jpg
>
>http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5173/untitled9vv.th.jpg
>
>(Sorry I didn't post thumbnails)
>
>Only certain games give me this issue, Deus Ex being one of the worst.
>Things like Doom III are absolutely unplayable. I get pretty decent
>frames with anything I play too. I'm rather confident that this is a
>video card issue though, a serious one at that. I had these problems
>with my old system, and I upgraded every component of my PC (even the
>power supply) EXCEPT the card, and I still have these problems.
>
>What I'm wondering is if this is something that can be resolved without
>having to purchase a new card. I get the most recent drivers ATI
>releases (I'm running catalyst 5.9 now) and it never is fixed. Any
>ideas would be much appreciated.

May be a PSU problem: make sure you have an adequate PSU and that the
power connector for the card is not shared with anything else in the
PC.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I have the exact same problem with my brand new radeon x850 Pro. Did you ever find a solution??? There's weird blue lines all over the screen. I've tried many things.... I will post a full desciption in a new post. Look for subject.. "x850 installation woes".