[SOLVED] Problem with second fan on the GPU ?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I have a sapphire r9 280x dual x gpu.
The problem is that my second fan only starts spinning at 80% pwm power(I set that in msi afterburner).
And the problem is that by the time my second fan spins up, the first one is insanely loud.
I already replaced my gpu fans with new ones, still the same problem.
What can I do to make the second fan behave like the first one?

Solution
Well, you cant really buy them new. So I am not fully sure if the seller sold me the fans that are fully working. Even though he claimed that the fans were working just fine.
If you are not sure the fans have been changed then there is no way at the moment to know if it’s the fan or the gpu. You can try looking for someone selling the same gpu as broken on eBay or take the cooler off and see if there is a part number on the fan you can Google.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
The only idea I have is trying to connect the fan to another controller such as a motherboard header or generic fan controller. It’s unlikely these would have the correct socket and I have never seen an adapter for the typical connectors used on gpu’s, therefore thus would need rewiring l.
Ok. But can I test my fans on a different gpu? Just to confirm that is is the controller issue and not a gpu issue.

Well, you cant really buy them new. So I am not fully sure if the seller sold me the fans that are fully working. Even though he claimed that the fans were working just fine.
If you are not sure the fans have been changed then there is no way at the moment to know if it’s the fan or the gpu. You can try looking for someone selling the same gpu as broken on eBay or take the cooler off and see if there is a part number on the fan you can Google.

Solution

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Just tell me if I can plug these fans into another gpu. Will it fry them or cause any other problems?

Just tell me if I can plug these fans into another gpu. Will it fry them or cause any other problems?
As far as I know they will all be 12v fans, but they could be either DC or PWM. If they have the same plug I would try it. I know with case fans it doesn’t cause any damage if you mix up the 2 types, they just won’t work. I will say it’s an assumption that these will be ok, never tried plugging in the wrong type on a gpu.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
As far as I know they will all be 12v fans, but they could be either DC or PWM. If they have the same plug I would try it. I know with case fans it doesn’t cause any damage if you mix up the 2 types, they just won’t work. I will say it’s an assumption that these will be ok, never tried plugging in the wrong type on a gpu.
Thank you! I will test them and reply as soon as possible.

I just did a quick google search and found some new replacement fans specifically for your GPU. I just searched the model and then fan replacement added to the search. Most of the fans are standardized, so it doesn't even need to be specifically named as your GPU to find a replacement fan.

Fan model
FD7010H12S 0.35A R158a

Reactions: sizzling

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I just did a quick google search and found some new replacement fans specifically for your GPU. I just searched the model and then fan replacement added to the search. Most of the fans are standardized, so it doesn't even need to be specifically named as your GPU to find a replacement fan.

Fan model
FD7010H12S 0.35A R158a
Alright. I'll keep that in mind.