[SOLVED] Problem with taskbar not loading on startup with Windows 10

Nov 10, 2021
I recently got a new custom prebuilt PC from BuildRedux and since I have had problems with my taskbar not loading BUT when I restart the computer a few times the taskbar will eventually work- and sometimes if I wait 5 minutes it will randomly start working.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 twice and I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers as well. I have also tried restarting windowsexe inside the taskmanager. I am at a loss. :/

Solution
restarting windows.exe? that wouldn't work inside windows

Windows.exe is actually name of a number of malware, its unlikely to be an actual windows file with that name,

restarting explorer.exe would make more sense for taskbar maybe

Unplug anything from PC that is not necessary, its possible the problem is caused by hardware not reacting to windows at startup. It can be anything. That would explain waitng 5 minutes for it to randomly appear, it means its waiting for hardware to reply and it only continues after its timed out.

what are specs of the PC?

does it happen in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose...

Colif

Win 11 Master

Windows.exe is actually name of a number of malware, its unlikely to be an actual windows file with that name,

Unplug anything from PC that is not necessary, its possible the problem is caused by hardware not reacting to windows at startup. It can be anything. That would explain waitng 5 minutes for it to randomly appear, it means its waiting for hardware to reply and it only continues after its timed out.

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

Solution
Nov 10, 2021

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
Yeah I don't think it's called windows.exe it's just a folder called Windows Explorer which I think is responsible for the taskbar.
SPECS:
Processor // AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Ram // 16 GB
GFX // 3060 ti 8GB

I will try your advice here in a second and let you know how it goes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it often caused by old hardware, so anything thats always worked before, could be cause. I had it happen in past from old speakers that had always worked before... also had similar with a mouse, so it can be anything.

Nov 10, 2021
it often caused by old hardware, so anything thats always worked before, could be cause. I had it happen in past from old speakers that had always worked before... also had similar with a mouse, so it can be anything.
Everything on the system is brandnew. The keyboard, mouse, and mic.

Colif

Win 11 Master
was it any better going into safe mode?

since its happened on multiple installs, it not likely to be windows. So apart from hardware mentioned, what else is there?
storage?
PSU?

PC has 2 year warranty, I would have contacted them about it as well.

Nov 10, 2021
was it any better going into safe mode?

since its happened on multiple installs, it not likely to be windows. So apart from hardware mentioned, what else is there?
storage?
PSU?

PC has 2 year warranty, I would have contacted them about it as well.
It happens in safe mode too. Any clue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
have to test everything in and connected to the PC.

could try starting up without anything extra attached, so unplug mouse/kb after logon screen (though this might be too late, its hard to logon without a kb unless you use the on screen keybaord) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c8-f794-81dbf896267a

is it only slow at startup, rest of time PC is okay? no other signs of problems?

Do you know what ssd or hdd you have in PC? a hdd can cause slow boot times..

if you don't you can use a program like Speccy that can identify them - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Only real way to know what PSU you have is to look in case, the website doesn't show. I don't think its cause, its just more for completion sake knowing what you have.

Nov 10, 2021
have to test everything in and connected to the PC.

could try starting up without anything extra attached, so unplug mouse/kb after logon screen (though this might be too late, its hard to logon without a kb unless you use the on screen keybaord) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c8-f794-81dbf896267a

is it only slow at startup, rest of time PC is okay? no other signs of problems?

Do you know what ssd or hdd you have in PC? a hdd can cause slow boot times..

if you don't you can use a program like Speccy that can identify them - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Only real way to know what PSU you have is to look in case, the website doesn't show. I don't think its cause, its just more for completion sake knowing what you have.
If I didn’t download the motherboard and chipset drivers from the MSI website could it cause it? (Sorry if that’s a wild question I’m new to this.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just noticed you didn't mention motherboard, which one do you have?

Since it happens in safe mode, the drivers may not help. Drivers don't run in safe mode, its just windows there.

which version of win 10
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1
windows should have basic drivers that work with most hardware.

if you can tell me make/model of all ssd/hdd in PC I can find software we can use to test it.
I feel cause is hardware of some kind, it survived clean installs and drivers, and you have to be unlucky to get same drivers twice, so its unlikely to be them.

BIOS update might help

any problem devices showing in device manager?

Last edited: