Question Problem with the Tapo C520WS IP camera

Tiakii

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2017
Hi, not sure if I posted in the correct thread but I bought 3 Tapo C520WS cameras and after unboxing them I spent the afternoon testing them all and found no issues with any of them so I got to work installing them around the house. I also made sure the WiFi signal was strong enough using the Tapo App to test WiFi strength and they are all within perfect range. One of them being no less than 5 meters away from the router only being separated by a windowpane.

When I disconnect from the WiFi ( same network as what the cameras are on ) I cannot view the camera feed at all. The live video feed is completely unresponsive. Even the time display stamp doesn't progress. It’s just completely stuck. If I press any buttons in the app (e.g. the move buttons) the camera still responds and does what I input, but it doesn't update the video feed on my phone. So if I rotate the camera. It will rotate, but it will not update the feed. I’ll still be staring at a frozen image. I’ve left it for more than 5 minutes and it just doesn't update at all. Even standing right next to the camera.

Possible solutions I've tried includes - Reinstalling and updating the app - Updating the firmware on the cameras - Changed the image quality to 720p and the fps to 15 thinking that my mobile network might just be too slow - Used multiple devices - Changed the Display settings to Compatible Mode

The camera is 100% useless if I am not on the same network which defeats the purpose of a security camera when you are not home. Does anyone know how to fix this or have any solutions for me as I do not want to return them. I really like them a lot and I love the features. I’ve also already drilled holes in my wall as I thought I've tested everything thoroughly, but clearly I missed one vital test. Any and all responses are highly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.