[SOLVED] Problem with unexpected restarts ?

Jun 4, 2021
Specs:
i5 8600k
MSI GTX 1060 3gb Aero ITX
Corsair Value select 8x2
Gigabyte z370m DS3H ITX
WD 500GB HDD
Cooler Master ma410p CPU cooler
Cooler Master MWE GOLD 650W PSU
Thermaltake Versa J24 TG (The tempered glass side panel broke a year ago, currently have an open side panel)

All of my parts beside the GPU and HDD are less than 2 years old. The GPU and HDD are both 4 years old.

A few days ago my pc started randomly restarting. I thought it was a voltage problem so I switched sockets. Switched rooms. Didn't work. My pc hadn't been cleaned in a long time so took it out and cleaned it properly (a lot of dust). At this point I notice that my PC doesn't stay on for longer than 15 minutes. I boot it up and update windows as well to Windows 10 ver 20H2. Issue seems fixed, PC has been on for hours and no random restart. That's when I decide to play some CSGO and the pc restarts as soon as the match loads.

So I think it's either a GPU problem or a PSU problem. I take out the GPU and connect my monitor to integrated graphics, play some CSGO deathmatch and it's working fine, no restarts. I put my GPU back in and it restarts as soon as I load into CS. I try playing some Genshin Impact and it restarts after 5 minutes of gameplay. I thought it was a overheating problem so I start to monitor the GPU temps and it's barely hitting 79 C (which is pretty normal imo). Other than that if I use my PC normally (browsing, just doing anything in general besides gaming) it works perfectly fine with no restarts.

Today I switched the 6 pin power connector for the GPU. I played some CS:GO with friends and it was working pretty smoothly. No restarts whatsoever. Solid 180-250fps at high settings. Same temperature as usual (65-79 C). I thought the issue was resolved, maybe the 6 pin connector was faulty? I launched Genshin Impact and played for a few minutes. I kept it on for a few hours as a sort of stress test. I return to my PC and as soon as I click on the genshin impact tab my PC restarts.

The only problems I know of the PC is that one of the the USB 3.0 pins is bent so the case's front USB don't work. Other than that my HDD is pretty old and slow but still works fine.

Could it possibly be a PSU problem? Or is the graphics card dead? Unfortunately I lost my other HDD, if I still had it I could test if it was a windows problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm willing to provide more info to the best of my ability.
Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're on version 21H1 for Windows 10, so you didn't really get an update to the OS. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If the system reboots when taxed, that's a sign that the PSU is incapable of delivering power to the entire system. On idle, the PSU doesn't need to deliver as much power which is why you could see it when taxed. As for the issue happening while idle, it can also indicate to a faulty or failing PSU.

You could take the discrete GPU over to your friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU with at least 650W of power for the entire system, to see if that exhibits any issue on their end, if not, then the GPU's fine, it's the PSU.

FYI, I'd ask you to backup all...

Lutfij

Titan

We're on version 21H1 for Windows 10, so you didn't really get an update to the OS. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If the system reboots when taxed, that's a sign that the PSU is incapable of delivering power to the entire system. On idle, the PSU doesn't need to deliver as much power which is why you could see it when taxed. As for the issue happening while idle, it can also indicate to a faulty or failing PSU.

You could take the discrete GPU over to your friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU with at least 650W of power for the entire system, to see if that exhibits any issue on their end, if not, then the GPU's fine, it's the PSU.

FYI, I'd ask you to backup all critical content, fabricate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 and then reinstall the OS, then manually install all relevant drivers(then hit update in OS).

Solution
Jun 4, 2021

FYI, I'd ask you to backup all critical content, fabricate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 and then reinstall the OS, then manually install all relevant drivers(then hit update in OS).

thanks for the reply.

BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends Inc. F4, 4/3/2018

it might be a psu problem as it does not reboot when idle, only when I start gaming.

I'll update windows like you said.

As for the graphics card test, i'll contact one of my friends and get back to that as soon as I do

Jun 4, 2021
Alright so i've checked it out with a friend, it turns out that my graphics card is completely fine. I hooked it up into his setup, he had a i5 9400f, 16 gigs of ram, and a 600w PSU. We played alot of games to stress out the GPU, like GTA 5, Tekken 7, Genshin Impact, CS:GO and Valorant. The GPU remained at a solid 75ish temperature and didn't restart a single time. My PSU is still under warranty so i'll just get a new one. Thanks for the help!