Question Problems after upgrading GPU to rtx 3080

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I've upgraded today from an EVGA gtx 1080 ti to an MSI RTX 3080 I've also upgraded from my old Corsair TX850 power supply to a Corsair HX1200, but way before I upgraded that GPU AND power supply, I experienced a problem where my monitor would show no signal when I turn it back on after a while without use or when the monitor/pc is unplugged for a while. To fix it I had to connect my PS5 to the monitor (which works every time without problems) then turn the monitor and pc on and off until the signal for the pc shows back up. Now after I've upgraded my GPU, the problem became way more frequent occurring every time I leave the monitor and pc off/unplugged for an extended period of time. If the PS5 gives the monitor a signal with no problems, I'm afraid there is something wrong with the pc itself and If that's the case I have no clue where to start to try and figure out what's going on. What do you guys think I should do?

specs:
CPU i7 8700k
Aorus gaming 7 motherboard
MSI RTX 3080 gaming z trio
16gb Ram

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Pc being off for extended period of time confuses things. Maybe turning on pc/monitor at different times from each other might do something. Is pc using same video cable you use for ps5?

Try disable fast boot in bios and Windows.
Then in Windows power plan under advanced settings for the plan you choose to never turn off display and never turn off storage. Type never in the field for that setting. See how that goes.

black97 devil

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
im not sure if get this

but all monitors have sleep timeout if there is no signal coming form PC like in sleep mode.
if you meant no signal while the PC on this is probably settings issue in the PC , especially when you have any monitor port on the motherboard , sometimes the PC revert to motherboard port instead of GPU when the settings not set properly

to confirm the integrity of the monitor connect the pc to tv or another monitor

try ctrl +shift +window key +b

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Pc being off for extended period of time confuses things. Maybe turning on pc/monitor at different times from each other might do something. Is pc using same video cable you use for ps5?

Try disable fast boot in bios and Windows.
Then in Windows power plan under advanced settings for the plan you choose to never turn off display and never turn off storage. Type never in the field for that setting. See how that goes.

The ps5 uses HDMI and the PC uses a display port, but when the problem occurs, using that same HDMI cable for the pc doesn't work. Hooking up the cables to the motherboard instead of the GPU doesn't work but regradless even when everything is okay and there is a signal between the pc and the monitor, hooking any cable to the motherboard and monitor still doesn't work and the only thing that works is GPU to monitor. I don't think this has something to do with any bios setting since the problem appeared out of no where and I have never messed with the bios before nor do I even know what it looks like.

Are you referring to the power & sleep settings in windows 10 where it says " Screen: when plugged in turn off after (Never) and When plugged in, pc goes to sleep after (never)" ? if so then these two settings have always been set to never.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think igpu works with graphics card in? Some motherboard's give the option in bios but usually igpu and motherboard video ports is disabled.

Ill think more about this issue, seems odd. Maybe not use dp cable for a bit and see if problem persists, might be something wrong with cable.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
I don't think igpu works with graphics card in? Some motherboard's give the option in bios but usually igpu and motherboard video ports is disabled.

Ill think more about this issue, seems odd. Maybe not use dp cable for a bit and see if problem persists, might be something wrong with cable.

okay thank you, I'll just leave the monitor and pc plugged in when i turn them off and see what happens. I have another big problem though, as of right now with my brand new rtx 3080 i tried some RTX games like BF2042 and the performance is awful, 50-70fps with some stuttering here and there with DLSS and ray tracing on. I tried some tweaks like removing the game's cache files, enabling hardware accelarted gpu scheduling, and setting enabling perfer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel, nothing made a difference. At first i thought my cpu is a bottleneck here but the CPU never reached even 70% usage at any point

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im not going waste your time suggesting it's your system when it most likely isn't because the game just released so expect optimisation bugs. There'll be updates from devs and Nvidia soon, can almost guarantee that. It's pretty much the norm these days, i'm currently waiting to play FC6.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Im not going waste your time suggesting it's your system when it most likely isn't because the game just released so expect optimisation bugs. There'll be updates from devs and Nvidia soon, can almost guarantee that. It's pretty much the norm these days, i'm currently waiting to play FC6.

I hope you're right. I tried playing Control and the game seems to run fine with mostly 90fps+ with all ultra and ray tracing maxed with no DLSS but then again, Control is an old game. I've been downloading Red Dead 2 to try and see how it performs but I can't think of really any other GPU intensive game to try and test the card some more. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the card and to know if I have a bottleneck with my 8700k.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
So i've been trying to use that OC button on my motherboard because I know nothing about overclocking and afraid to ruin something if I do it manually myself (I'm really good at breaking stuff unintentionally) but to my sadness that OC button doesn't light up when i press it while the pc is turned off and it doesn't work. Am i suppose to press it while the pc is turned on? can i enable it from the bios? my motherboard is z370 Aorus gaming 7. I know this is out of topic but I made a new post about this and no one responded so I though I should try to ask here.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Oc button should be detailed in the manual.

Im guessing you press it while system is on so it makes changes in bios but could be wrong.

Yeah i looked in the manual and this is all it says

"OC Button (OC) The OC button helps enthusiasts and overclockers not only get the most performance from their hardware, but also the absolute most enjoyable OC experience. Press this button to load the most optimized GIGABYTE overclocking configuration for your hardware"

Can't find anywhere else in the manual where it mentions the oc button again. I've had an MSI mobo in the past that had a button called "oc genie" and all i had to do was press it while the pc is turned off. That isn't working with this mobo. The reason why i'm trying to turn this on is because i've been getting really annoying microstuttering in a bunch of games so i wanted to know if that slight oc from the button will fix it.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Overclock would help if cpu was being over worked but i doubt it is.

What kind of micro stutter? If cpu was maxing out, that would cause slight pauses sometimes. The other kind of micro stutter is too many frames for monitor to keep up with and video isn't smooth like jitter look. Vsync, fps limit, freesync/gsync helps with that. Vsync causes input lag so it's usually avoided but can help the situation by capping fps a couple under refresh with vsync on.

What hz you playing on now? Still DP or Hdmi?

How full is your os drive and is it an ssd or hdd?

Can you run userbench website and link results here please.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Ok so the problem is solved by just keeping the monitor and PC plugged in at all times even when I turn them off. If I take either one of them out even for a few seconds and put it back in, I get no signal again and have to restart the pc (typically only takes one restart) to get a signal. I still have no clue why this happened in the first place, but at least I have a solution.