Question Problems installing Windows 10 to NVMe

Aug 4, 2019
I've been embarking on my first-ever pc build and I've encountered yet another problem. I'm trying to install Windows 10 from a USB but I keep getting a screen saying No Device Drivers found. I've done some googling but the solutions are either a) unhelpful or b) beyond my expertise. I don't believe the problem is related to my USB because I've loaded the Windows installation media about 500 times on three different USB sticks (both 2.0 and 3.0). Plus, when I go to the boot menu it recognizes my USB. So at this point I'm thinking it might have something to do with my SSD because I can't seem to find any place where the UEFI recognizes that it is installed, plus when I click "Browse" to find drivers during Windows 10 setup, it has my USB listed as the C drive. I initially had the SSD seated in the M.2_1 slot, then re-seated it in the M.2_3 slot to see if that would change anything (it didn't). It's currently still seated in M.2_3. Please help me, I'm going insane!!!!!

My build
Mobo: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
SSD: Crucial P1 1TB NVMe

Sep 2, 2019
can you make a new, usb win10 installer with media creation tool from windows website ?
maybe on another pc ? or already tried it ?

boot your pc with F12, to go into boot menu,
then, select there the usb drive were you have your win10 installer on.

that's how i fixt it.

2 day's i have my new pc ryzen 3700x, Don't install the sata/ide/ahci drivers !

it will fok up your pc and let letting your system startup normal anymore and go into try to reapir//fix/recover mode, and if you don't have a backup , you need to start all over again !

had this for a couple times now.

can't find a fix .

(just don't install the new amd sata/ahci drivers from gigabyte website)
the drivers from 2006 are working fine ! sounds weird, but it is true !
so don't install the AMD

In my ASUS BIOS I had an option in the drive's section that allowed more devices to be detected. I installed win10 on my 1tb 970 Evo and didn't have any issues. There must be something in the bios that can help it recognize the ssd. Try reinstalling the sdd and make sure that the retaining screw is screwed snug but not tight.

Aug 4, 2019
can you make a new, usb win10 installer with media creation tool from windows website ?
maybe on another pc ? or already tried it ?

boot your pc with F12, to go into boot menu,
then, select there the usb drive were you have your win10 installer on.

that's how i fixt it.

2 day's i have my new pc ryzen 3700x, Don't install the sata/ide/ahci drivers !

it will fok up your pc and let letting your system startup normal anymore and go into try to reapir//fix/recover mode, and if you don't have a backup , you need to start all over again !

had this for a couple times now.

can't find a fix .

(just don't install the new amd sata/ahci drivers from gigabyte website)
the drivers from 2006 are working fine ! sounds weird, but it is true !
so don't install the AMD
[/QUOTE

I have tried making a new installer many times. The boot order is correct.

Aug 4, 2019
Somebody please help me, I'm still stuck. But before you copy and paste the famous Calvin7 response, please know that I have already tried this to no avail. The only thing I can currently think of is to re-seat the drive into the M.2_1 slot and try the same process over again.

D

Deleted member 14196

I have used both the MS tool and Rufus, no difference between the two.

have you tried using a usb 2.0 port of any of these methods listed at the site below?
https://appuals.com/fix-no-device-drivers-were-found/

also, you can probably use a DVD to install it if you have one, use the media creation tool (official only) to make it. also, if you have not already, buy a cheap usb 2.0 8GB drive and try that. maybe your usb is damaged.

Aug 4, 2019
have you tried using a usb 2.0 port of any of these methods listed at the site below?
https://appuals.com/fix-no-device-drivers-were-found/

also, you can probably use a DVD to install it if you have one, use the media creation tool (official only) to make it. also, if you have not already, buy a cheap usb 2.0 8GB drive and try that. maybe your usb is damaged.
My mobo does not have any USB2.0 ports on it. I also wondered if my USB was damaged so I bought a new one, same problem. Plus, as I said in the original post, the USB works fine in other computers and shows up in the boot list.

Aug 4, 2019
you usb is missing the usb driver probably
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNIdOs_50r4
I have already come across this video but it is not super helpful for two reasons:
1- As I said above, my mobo only has USB 3.1 or 3.2 ports so option #1 doesn't help.
2- My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 3800x so getting an Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver likely won't help (is there a Ryzen equivalent to this?)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My mobo does not have any USB2.0 ports on it. I also wondered if my USB was damaged so I bought a new one, same problem. Plus, as I said in the original post, the USB works fine in other computers and shows up in the boot list.

It actually does have a USB 2.0 header where if your case has front panel USB 2.0 ports they can plug in there. If your case has that you should consider giving this a try.

How far along in the install process does it get before you get that error? Are you able to set up or select a drive and that part? Or do you really get nowhere it just gives the error.

Also make sure you are using M2_1 as those are direct lanes to the CPU.

Aug 4, 2019
It actually does have a USB 2.0 header where if your case has front panel USB 2.0 ports they can plug in there. If your case has that you should consider giving this a try.

How far along in the install process does it get before you get that error? Are you able to set up or select a drive and that part? Or do you really get nowhere it just gives the error.

The case only has USB 3.0 ports. I litterally have no USB 2.0 ports anywhere.

I am not able to select the drive at all during installation.

I did realize that yesterday I re-seated the drive into M.2_3 but never moved it back. I will move it back when I get home then try the tips I mentioned in Calvin7's solution to this problem. In the meantime, any other suggestions are welcome!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The case only has USB 3.0 ports. I litterally have no USB 2.0 ports anywhere. I did realize that yesterday I re-seated the drive into M.2_3 but never moved it back. I will move it back when I get home then try the tips I mentioned in Calvin7's solution to this problem. In the meantime, any other suggestions are welcome!

If the case's USB ports are 3.0 have you tried those? Theres could be a driver issue with the motherboard USB 3.2 ports. 3.0 should work fine... well in theory.

Aug 4, 2019
If the case's USB ports are 3.0 have you tried those? Theres could be a driver issue with the motherboard USB 3.2 ports. 3.0 should work fine... well in theory.
The case's USB 3.0 ports are the ones I've mainly been using but at this point I've tried them all. I really don't think it's a USB issue; I think it has something to do with problems installing Windows to the NVMe, but the solutions I'm finding online (Such as Calvin7's checklist which I've seen all over the internet) haven't worked for me yet. But like I said, I realized I tried all of those solutions with the drive still installed into M.2_3 so maybe moving it back to M.2_1 then trying those solutions will help (I really wish I was at home right now so I could test it!!!). In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Aug 4, 2019

One more quick question: How do you know that M.2_1 has the direct lanes to the CPU? I can't find that language anywhere in the mobo manual and I have seen that some other manufacturers have the lower M.2 slot have direct lanes.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
One more quick question: How do you know that M.2_1 has the direct lanes to the CPU? I can't find that language anywhere in the mobo manual and I have seen that some other manufacturers have the lower M.2 slot have direct lanes.

Where have you seen that because thats not true. The physically closest slot to the CPU will always be direct. They aren't going to run traces from the CPU all the way to the bottom of the board.

Aug 4, 2019
Where have you seen that because thats not true. The physically closest slot to the CPU will always be direct. They aren't going to run traces from the CPU all the way to the bottom of the board.
I don't remember exactly where, it was somewhere online when I was researching this problem but it's starting to blur together because I've been messing with this for like 3 days now. I think they were referring to an MSI mobo in that instance. I'm sure you're right, I just couldn't find any language in my manual specifying the preferred slot.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I don't remember exactly where, it was somewhere online when I was researching this problem but it's starting to blur together because I've been messing with this for like 3 days now. I think they were referring to an MSI mobo in that instance. I'm sure you're right, I just couldn't find any language in my manual specifying the preferred slot.

Also look closely at the zoomed in picture on the ASRock website you can actually see the traces that go from the slot to the CPU.