[SOLVED] problems reinstalling windows 10

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Hello, my sister has bought a laptop for school and it came pre installed with windows 10. only now she cant update it anymore due to lack of disk space. it came with a 32GB HDD. i installed a 500GB HDD for her. but now when i try to create a ''windows installation media'' it doesnt work. i dont get a list to pick from on where i want to create the media. for example

C:/ = drive with OS installed
D:/ = new empty HDD
E:/ = USB drive.

it wont select the USB drive at all. it just automaticly tries to create 1 on the C drive giving me the message : '' You need 8GB more to create a installation media ''

no i dont. i want to create it on the damn usb but it wont let me. ive tried changing the boot order but doesnt work either. i have no idea what to do so far anymore. ( ive tried google / youtube / TomsHardware forums. but cant find a solution. )

the only specs i know that its a Asus Evobook E14

Solution
My suggestion is to try cloning the existing 32 GB C drive to the new 500 GB drive.

I use Macrium Reflect (free) to clone drives.

Reference:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Cloning: There may be other general suggestions and application specific suggestions from others following this thread.

Do be sure that your sister has all important data backed up and verified recoverable and readable.

As for the USB drive how did you format it?

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
On the laptop, there should be some nameplate with a model number.

And Windows - is the current Windows 10 installation = Windows 10 S?
Hello. yes indeed it says Windows S. my mom had the exact thing on her laptop but i did something that turned it into a ''normal'' windows version. ( idk how to properly explain it ) im heading there right now and ill make a picture of the model number and ill post it later here today.

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
On the laptop, there should be some nameplate with a model number.

And Windows - is the current Windows 10 installation = Windows 10 S?
Hello, im back from my moms house and made a picture of my sister her laptop model number. it says

QUALCOMM ATHEROS MODEL : QCMFA335
FCC ID: PPD-QCNFA335
IC: 4104A-QCNFA335

msinfo says '' system model : Vivobook E14 E402WAS

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
So your new HDD (Drive D: is 500 GB)

What is the current Drive C:? Capacity and how full?

Likewise for the USB drive: Capacity and (if applicable) how full?
the C drive has a capacity of 32GB ( it was pre installed ) and its fulled with 28GB probally because of the windows installation ( it has 4 GB left )
the USB it used to have 120GB but not it has 30GB i dont know where the other GB's went the USB is empty but it only shows 30GB on it.

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to try cloning the existing 32 GB C drive to the new 500 GB drive.

Reference:

Cloning: There may be other general suggestions and application specific suggestions from others following this thread.

Do be sure that your sister has all important data backed up and verified recoverable and readable.

Solution

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019

Reference:

Hi, thanks for the link. i will be trying that out tommorow. i made sure she has everything backed up aswell. and i never formatted the USB i used it before to create a media creation tool for my own PC. but that worked fine without any problems. i just dont understand why microsoft has to be such a bi** about it. just let me select a drive to install windows on and were done. but nope. gotta take the long route. ty MS ._.

but anyways thanks for ur help. i will try out the cloning tool and see if that gets me to fix it. ill post later tommorow about how it went and if suceeded or not.

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
well, i did manage to clone the C drive to D but now both drives are 32GB i dont know where the rest of the 460GB went. i must have messed up somehowere altough i did everything the tutorial said. the only thing i could not do was increase partition size somehow. so i think thats where i went wrong. im gonna try it again tommorow since i dont have enough time for today.

edit : come to think of it. since i did copy the whole drive maybe the rest is now unallocated space? ill check for that tommorow

edit 2 : i tried the exact thing i tried yesterday and now it seemed to work fine. before i coulndt increase the disk size when cloning but now i could. ive started the windows updates aswell and it puts them on the D drive too now. ( thank god ) so its working now the only thing but its not a big issue is, C drive has the windows logo on it but D doesnt. but that doesnt matter to be honest it still puts everything on D. anyways thanks for the time and help. appriciate it.

Last edited: