Question Problems trying multiboot system with 5 partitions... xfdisk can't hide logical partitions, only primarypartitions

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Hi

Some forums recommended XFDISK to have a multiboot system, and it worked perfectly with 4 primary partitions:

1. WIN311 (primary)
2. WIN95 (primary)
3. WIN98 (primary)
4. DATA (primary)

The problem is that now I wanna add a new partition for Windows 2000. XFDISK doesn't let me creating more than 4 primary partitions so I was forced to do this:

1. WIN311 (primary)
2. WIN95 (primary)
3. WIN98 (primary)
4. Extended Partition:
4a. WIN2000 (logical)
4b. DATA (logical)

Now, as you all know, to install an OS, you must hide all the other OS, to avoid breaking the installations. Well, I just can't hide the WIN2000 partition because it's a logical partition and it seems that xfdisk doesn't let to hide it.

Any idea about how to solve this? Maybe if I can create 5 primary partitions xfdisk will let me hide all of them. But how can I create five primary partitions?

I need to achieve it only with free software, no commercial sowftware or infected software please.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
Can your already installed Windows versions even boot in this system?

From what I have read, an MBR drive can only contain a maximum of 4 primary partitions. You'd make a fifth by installing another drive.

Any reason you aren't using a more modern operating system and a free virtual machine program with 'fake' drives to run these operating systems?

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
I assume you aren't modifying the operating system installations. If so you should be able to make a bootable live CD, or thumbdrive to make it modifiable, for each of them, or just for Win 2000 if you want to keep the others as is, and then just have your data on the HDD.