Problems with booting new build (display problems)

G

Hi, i have just recieved all the bits for my newd pc that i'm building myself. i have installed everything, plugged it in and pressed the power button. all the fans, lights work etc, but my screen doesn't recieve a signal. its all plugged in correctly and the cable definatley works as i'm using it right now. heres what ive got....

MB - Geforce6100PM-M2, micro ATX, 64-bit, AM2+
Processer - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+, AM2 with heatsink and fan
Graphics Card - 1GB Geforce 8400 256mb
RAM - 2x 2gb PC2-4300 533mhz DDR2
HDD - 250gb Western Digital SATA
Case - Galaxy ATX Tower with 450w PSU

the screen is connected to the graphics card via VGA

all the bits work as far as i know, only processer and HDD are second hand but should work.

any help and ideas appreciated

G

thanks, it only beeps when i have no RAM in.
no beeps when i power up.
the gpu fan does spin.
the monitor is an LG 1024x768 15inch-ish (not really sure about it)
thats the thing, i cant access the BIOS cos i cant get anything to appear on the screen.

thanks for replying, any other ideas???

OK, the cable you are using OK, just on another PC - gotcha there.

You should have 2 VGA connectors on your PC. 1 from the video card and 1 from the motherboard. Which one are you connected to? Have you tried the other one?

G

yes 1 VGA on card and 1 VGA on mobo
ive tried both and same problem so im presuming its not a GPU problem.

G

i don't know, i tried so many. but i supose it wont hurt to try again

thanks for your help WR2

anyone else got anyother ideas, had the same problem???

Yeah; I was thinking you had already tried without the GF8400.
You know the cable is good. Neither GPU (8400 & IGP 6100) can get a signal to the monitor.
It's time to switch monitors if you can.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006

Do this. Also try clearing the cmos either by the jumper or unplugging and taking out the battery or both. Make sure your memory is plugged in right, try just one stick at a time in different slots. Try booting with no memory to see if it beeps. Make sure the heat sync is in good and the fan is plugged in to the right spot.

If that doesn't work rebuild outside of the case to rule out a short caused by your case/installation. Don't plug in a hard drive or anything else that you don't need. Make sure it's not the monitor or the cable, try a different monitor and cable or plug your old computer in just to make sure.

If none of that helps it's probably your processor or motherboard but it's still hard to tell which one.

offitmassive

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Hi, i have just recieved all the bits for my newd pc that i'm building myself. i have installed everything, plugged it in and pressed the power button. all the fans, lights work etc, but my screen doesn't recieve a signal. its all plugged in correctly and the cable definatley works as i'm using it right now. heres what ive got....

MB - Geforce6100PM-M2, micro ATX, 64-bit, AM2+
Processer - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+, AM2 with heatsink and fan
Graphics Card - 1GB Geforce 8400 256mb
RAM - 2x 2gb PC2-4300 533mhz DDR2
HDD - 250gb Western Digital SATA
Case - Galaxy ATX Tower with 450w PSU

the screen is connected to the graphics card via VGA

all the bits work as far as i know, only processer and HDD are second hand but should work.

any help and ideas appreciated

many thanks for this forum, i myself bought this mobo package. ive built up a few pcs before, added new mobos and processors etc, but i have the same problem, built all up, powers up, fans run, cd and hd drive kick into play...but nothing on my screen, my monitor and cable is ok as im also using same monitor to do this, bought a pice 256mb ddr3 graphics card with a dvi - hdmi cable...nothing out of both cables, i ususlly thought it beeps when its started up ok?? ive just got a blank screen with no feed to monitor or tv...