Problems with SLI 8800gt worse!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

4745454b

Titan
Take the side off the case, point a house fan at the computer. Turn on the fan, then the computer. Should give you enough CFM to keep the cards cool enough. And yes, make sure its pointed at the cards. If it fixes the problem, the cards were getting to hot. Either remove any over clock, or find a way to increase the cooling between the cards.

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
hmmm well I've now gone back to 1 card, which was idling at 50 degrees, so I've added a little 80mm fan blowing right at the gpu heatsink from outside (it's like 5cm away from the heatsink, and now it's idling HOTTER!!!???

What the hell is going on!?

James

4745454b

Titan
I didn't say 80mm fan, I said house fan. 12" or 16" fan, setting number 2 if you need to.

I'm not sure how you added the fan, so I can't comment on why its hotter now. If the case side is still off, try it with the cover off and the fan off. Is it still hotter? Perhaps the fan is picking heat up from somewhere? Also, if its idling hotter but stay cooler under load I would say thats ok.

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Lol sorry, I meant I put the little fan in after trying the desk fan, which worked.

I ran furmark with the new fan installed and while the idle is higher, the load fell by about 5 degrees, which is something I guess, it's now hitting 79-80 degrees after about 600 seconds (10 mins) which I presume is roughly how hot it will stay at load. Do cards tend to keep increasing in temp over time?

James

4745454b

Titan
If the house fan worked, you have a temp issue. The answer is to bring down the temps. If the 80mm fan failed, try something else. New HSF for the video card, new case with better cooling, adding/changing existing fans in the case, lowering ambient temps in the room, cleaning heatsink, etc.

ZBEEDLE

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

I run dual 8800 gt's, and when I run them in SLI they get pretty hot. My cards idle at 55 to 60 degrees C, and have peaked at 96, which is also the only time I've crashed. It does sound odd that they crash in IE, at an idle temp. I was also wondering if you get a green meter in your games when your are running SLI, cause I have one show up in Mod War 2, and not in my bad Company 2 beta.