Question Problems with system drive usage ( 100% at startup)

Erikoisjii

Commendable
Mar 30, 2017
So, I've had this issue for a long time, where the disk usage is at 100% with only a few mb/s and the response time is extreme. Now, let me say this. The problem doesn't most likely occur from any specific software that I would have downloaded. Note that my desktop PC has an SSD, and my laptop (only for school) has an HDD 5400RPM(I know it's slow, but has never done this before). Both have the same issues, but I don't have any of the same software in my laptop. I first thought it was Malwarebytes, but after disabling it and Windows Defender, the issue persisted. Anyone got a solution?

Check what is making the systems go to 100% disk usage with Task Manager. You mention checking for malware, but have you checked for viruses?

If you're on Windows 10 there are quite a few background processes which can be problematic (various data gathering).
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/fix-100-disc-usage-by-system-service.2886539/
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/100-disk-usage-windows-10-fixed/

I had a 100% disk usage issue for over a year, though none of the above methods worked for me. In the end I ended up reinstalling Windows and my laptop is functioning properly again.

kirk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
the problem i suspect is windows is starting up too many programs from the drivers that are required to the software buried in your startup that simply check if there are updates to the likes of adobe or java or who knows. the problem stems from the fact that your OS and processor is very much multi-tasking capable, your hard drive not so much. While modern hard drives have really improved as far as sequential read/write, the random read/write not so much. it takes time for the the heads to re-position, then the computer reads in a few k then heads off to get a few k from somewhere else on the platter. I myself was running a 3 disk raid array, and while sequential read/write was on par with older SSD's (not the latest and greatest) the random access was still no better than a single drive, maybe slightly worse since it has to wait till all 3 drives seeked to the correct position. In stalling a new SSD to boot from greatly improved my boot time and how fast the computer was actually ready to work. the raid array is now used just for video recording, pure sequential reads and writes is right up its ball park with out the expense of an SSD even though they have come down in price to the point of making me sad at how much i spent not very long ago. That being said things that you can do to help currently without changing hardware, 1st remove any un-necessary programs from your startup. also in the check services and see if there are any you can disable or set to "delayed startup". I could give you tips on how to do this on windows 7 including how to find startup entries in the registry but since many people are running windows 10 and on that OS i haven't a clue. you didn't mention what OS you was running. Keep in mind that no matter how much you slim down your startup programs its not going to make nearly as much difference as changing the boot drive to a SSD. For an example on mine: SSD sequential read 562MB/s, random 409MB/s, 3 drive raid sequential 251 MB/s, random 3.87 MB/s. When your booting your computer and windows is loading 80 plus background processes and any other programs and drivers you installed that's what your hard drive is dealing with. that's why its at 100% usage, i always felt Microsoft could have improved this by increasing the minimum read to a couple meg instead of a few k here and a few k there. that would result in more sequential reads and fewer random, but hey what do i know guess thats why they get paid the big bucks.