[SOLVED] Programs from current hdd

Shaftyz

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
So if im gonna get myself a new mobo, i need to get empty hdd/ssd. Can i transfer my current programs like csgo,fortnite etc to external hdd and format current hdd? Do i need to fresh install windows 10? I'm a noob pc builder so IDK how this works.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
If you get yourself a new motherboard, it is best to clean install W10, as it will likely deactivate anyway when you try to boot it again as it won't find the appropriate license key associated with your hardware (because your hardware has changed).

As for programs etc, you are best clean installing as your OS and launcher programs will need to associate themselves with the installation locations, so moving it about can cause issues.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you get yourself a new motherboard, it is best to clean install W10, as it will likely deactivate anyway when you try to boot it again as it won't find the appropriate license key associated with your hardware (because your hardware has changed).

As for programs etc, you are best clean installing as your OS and launcher programs will need to associate themselves with the installation locations, so moving it about can cause issues.

Solution

Shaftyz

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019

Ok so the best idea would be to format current hdd, but what if im going to put in new ssd, what do i need to do then?

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10:

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Strongly recommended to do a clean install on the new drive in this new system.

This, of course, means a reinstall of all your other applications.

Steam games can probably be moved or used on the old drive.
But all other games and applications WILL need to be reinstalled.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Im planning to buy a new ssd, install windows there but my old hdd still has windows there, do i need to still reset my hdd?
Don't HAVE to.
Basically remove the HDD.
Install the SSD.
Clean Install W10.
Connect HDD.
Then you can do what you want with the HDD, but most programs will need to be reinstalled.
Steam games for example can just be pointed to a new directory through the Steam client.

But use the guide that myself and USA have linked.
and keep in mind:

Shaftyz

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Don't HAVE to.
Basically remove the HDD.
Install the SSD.
Clean Install W10.
Connect HDD.
Then you can do what you want with the HDD, but most programs will need to be reinstalled.
Steam games for example can just be pointed to a new directory through the Steam client.

But use the guide that myself and USA have linked.
Okay, so i dont need to do anything with my hdd? kinda scared to mess something up...