Project Ara Gains Support For Nvidia Tegra K1 And 64-Bit Marvell Chip Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

epaciga

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Awesome-sauce! Modular makes a ton of sense when it comes to smartphones; if anyone can pull it off it would be Google, Apple, or Samsung - I'm just glad someone's getting the ball rolling so the rest can catch up with competition.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm really interested in this project, as it could very well be what I aim for with my next phone, probably aiming for lower-end capabilities with a view to upgrading, which I think could be great.

However, every time I see that exploded view with all the modules separated, I just can't help but think that's what will happen if I drop it…

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
"Project Ara is likely to be the first modular phone platform to come to market next year, but competitors such as Puzzlephone and Vsenn promise not to be too far behind."

One of the reasons for modular phone platform is that it will help reduce the wastage of throwing the phone away. With various modular platforms popping up, wouldn't that create just as much wastage?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
if anyone can pull it off it would be Google, Apple, or Samsung

... yeah RIGHT, Apple. Because *they* are so famous for letting the users choose...

With various modular platforms popping up, wouldn't that create just as much wastage?

Of course not. Do you seriously think that these "competitors" will actually succeed?

I just can't help but think that's what will happen if I drop it…

There's no reason why all this modular gooodness couldn't be protected by a robust case. Otherwise... I guess... you assemble it all back together? :D Worst case scenario, your screen cracks, like with any modern smartphone. Oh wait, you can now replace it yourself, probably for much cheaper, too.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I still predict this will go nowhere.

To have modules requires a standardized bus system and the one selected for Project Ara isn't fast enough to support the most powerful devices currently used in smartphones. And it adds complexity. Many current components are able to directly connect to an SoC - now they'll need to add a bus connection where none previously existed.

Further, many components are directly tied to the capabilities of your SoC. For example, you won't be adding a high MP or 4K camera to last years phone since the SoC can't process the data from the sensor fast enough. So you're going to have to upgrade the processor AND the camera.

Then you have SoC's from companies like Qualcomm with integrated LTE vs SoC's that require an external cellular modem. What happens when your existing phone with its own LTE modem gets the latest Qualcomm processor with a built-in modem? Which one gets used? Does the Qualcomm SoC know enough to disable its own and connect to the external modem via the bus.

What about drivers? Is your mobile OS suddenly going to gain Plug n Play (remember how this worked on Windows when it first came out)? How much bloat will this add to an OS designed to work on a device with limited resources? And who's going to be responsible when a conflict arises?

While the idea of making phones like your PC where you pick the CPU, storage, memory, GPU and other peripherals sounds good on paper, in reality it's going to be riddled with problems.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I SO want this to succeed.

And I have faith in them, as the engineers are ex-DARPA, whom have made some of the coolest tech in history.

Backed with Google's money & resources, what is there to hate kiddies?

RunLuke

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
I don't get this and never have.
More brittle, larger components, fatter phone, more expensive in the long run, compatibility issues hard- and softwarewise, availability of modules, the exact opposite of what people buy into when choosing a phone. Good idea, but IMO not practical at all.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
The main problem with Project Ara that I saw was going to be the lack of partners. But with Nvidia and Marvell onboard I think others will be soon to follow.

urmamasllama

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
well there is one of the things i wanted for ara now i just need an amoled display (don't care who makes it) and sprint band cdma modem and im set

aranatecharete

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Good to know!!! At last it is happening, I had many phones that in which I only wanted to change a specific part of it and had no choice. Had to buy another phone that would cost an arm and a leg. But now it would be AWEsome.

xchoice

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
if no usb 3.1 type c, no :bread: !!! so better have it!

and i would like this idea implemented for tablets.... as for a phone, as long as i can sms and phone call i dont care for the rest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.