Proper cooling for a Phenom II x4 810

emperornicon

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hello,
I hoping to get a lot of suggestions to my problem I want a good cooler for my cpu it needs to be copper, like this one here :
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu-hpm_index.html

The main issue I am having is spacing, I want a very large cooler but my mobo could be a big problem. I want lots of dissapation of heat. I really need fast cooling performance for a cheap price.

Amd Phenom II X4 810 2.60GHZ oc'd@ 3.50GHZ, 2250 Htlink,
Motherboard: GA-MA790XT-U4DP
8gb OCZ REAPER 1666 DDR3 7-7-7-24,
ATI RADEON 4870 HD 512 GDDR5, And
5*250gb sata II wd2500jaas raid0 @ 1.19tb 350mb/sec burst rate

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
If you're wanting something with a big block of copper like the Scythe one, I'd grab a Zerotherm BTF95 and attach a fan to it. That's what I did, and it cools better than my gigantor Thermaltake HSF did, and it had a bigger fan.

What case do you have? These coolers are huge.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Copper is pretty and you must of read that copper is best at removing heat. You for got engineering skills, quality of materials used, fans used in testing, ambient air temps used in tests.

Saying I need a copper HS is just wrong. Copper is best. But all the rest of the puzzle needs to be done.

Butterfly look. Meaning ONE HS you saw pics of, I saw that funny HS a while back. That HS has poor reviews on quality review sites anyway.

Keep at it, you'll get a good one by spending time at frosty. More than 15 minutes.

Then just get the Thermalright Ultra 120. It is one of the original tower style cpu heatsinks and after several years it's still one of the top 10 heatsinks for both Intel and AMD cpu's. I'm still using my original one and it is still producing outstanding results.

Do not bother with the copper version. It was done just for show. Only 3,000 were made. It weighs over 4 lbs (1.9 Kg). Expensive at $100.00. Technical reviews clearly demonstrated it did not cool as well as the original Ultra 120 or the newer Ultra 120 Extreme. If you go back to the Frosty Tech web site you'll see that there are no all copper heatsinks in any of the top lists or categories. Didn't we go over this earlier?

Peltier cooling is very expensive. You'd better read this guide to peltier cooling and see for yourself:

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

BTW - Which Apevia pc case do you have? The link you posted for the case was actually a link to an led case fan. I'd like to take a look at photos of your case. I want to check case ventilation, air flow, and cooling.