PS3 3.42 Firmware Update Stops Jailbreaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
epic battle begins. Sony updates firmware. Hackers crack firmware and release updated jailbreak. sony updates firmware. Hackers re-release updated jailbreak.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
So it has now entered the same ground as the PSP. Hacker breaks past the security and allows "backups", Sony blocks that specific attack, repeat.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
wash rinse and dry. it's always discouraging when pirating AGAIN becomes an issue. i guess devs should look into PC's again since every console is now hackable.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
This is good news and kudos to Sony for such a fast response. We cant say the same for Microsoft.

[Corrected - Thanks Mundus33 ]Here's to the end of piracy and the advancement of the gaming industry.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]wash rinse and dry. it's always discouraging when pirating AGAIN becomes an issue. i guess devs should look into PC's again since every console is now hackable.[/citation]
I wonder what excuses dev's are going to come up this time instead of piracy, to blame when their crap game doesn't sell millions.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey I have an idea!
They could make 3.42 an "Update" by giving us Linux suport back!
That way I wouldn't be frustrated by the fact Sony is needlessly taking my bandwidth cause they suspect I'm a pirate.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Oh well, nobody actually wants any new features or existing ones fixed anyway.
Time for the next console apparently, Sony'll have their developers tied up with increasing DRM controls and other things that gain users nothing but stops a handful from getting something for nothing for a while.

I prefer XBL's system, let them pirate, then ban the machine from the network and from being fully functional offline.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Its actually a pretty simple fix.

Sony just gotta update certain code on the USB side of things and the hack will be history.

Good job Sony.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
You know, the home-brew argument would be a non-issue if they opened up the PSN (applies to XBL) to people just writing apps at home. It's not unheard of at all, the iTunes app store and Android marketplace already allow it, why can't PSN/XBL?

Not to mention the things we've been using for decades that allow unsigned code to be executed, yet somehow is on the absolute bleeding edge of gaming hardware innovation, and very alive in the gaming distribution market. PCs.

Mundus33

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I don't understand why people assume this will drive developers/publishers back to the pc. Lets see here:

1. go back to pc and have to handle their own drm. This in turn drives people away from your games and increases piracy. It also costs money and development time to make these drm. Also have to deal with much more demanding, whiney, and entitled fan group. If you don't create drm you will still lose a good deal of money to piracy (look at world of goo such a shame, not only from an indie developer a.k.a. not the "man" but ridiculously cheap to begin with)

2. Make their games just like before and let Microsoft/Sony foot the bill and their time to get rid of piracy. Being able to sell to idiots and kids who think any game that falls out of a developer is pure gold and is willing to not only pay fees just to access their internet which they already pay for a.k.a xbox live(obviously developers and publishers don't see a nickel of this money but knowing your audience is willing to spend money on just about anything is a big plus) but also pay more for games in general not to mention how much shorter the games are than they used to be.

If you were a developer/publisher looking at the bottom line what would you choose.

On a side note I am primarily a pc gamer and I do own a 360 (no live account I play online on my pc) which I do play games on when those games get down to a price I am willing to pay which considering how fast used game prices fall isn't too long.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
It's like a dog chasing it's own tail, some times it gets it some times it doesn't.
Oh but it feels so happy when it does! so Cute!

G

I hope they come back and rehack it soon. I usually don't like piracy but the devs have become so greedy. charging you to use their services + the online fees of plus. Sony is double taxing you for anything you buy with cards. This sucks for the kids who want to get two $9.99 games and have to buy $44 worth of cards to cover the tax on the system.
They hold out on DLC which just unlocks content already on th disc. This wasn't a trend in the past. The people are just standing up for themselves for once.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Wow there must be a heck alot of pirating fan boy thives that read these posts, because everytime I post a positive comment about fighting gaming piracy on any platform I get down-voted.

Go-Ahead and down-vote this too, and keep on stealing things because that must be the only way to get the industry to change its ways. Idiots.

And for those of you think I was flamming Microsoft Im NOT I have a 360, its just the time that it took them to finally take action that I was commenting about.

Mundus33

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Wow there must be a heck alot of pirating fan boy thives that read these posts, because everytime I post a positive comment about fighting gaming piracy on any platform I get down-voted. Go-Ahead and down-vote this too, and keep on stealing things because that must be the only way to get the industry to change its ways. Idiots.And for those of you think I was flamming Microsoft Im NOT I have a 360, its just the time that it took them to finally take action that I was commenting about.[/citation]

You didn't know there is a group who tries to uphold grammatical correctness and they voted you down for misusing hear instead of here. /jk :p

All kidding aside I was surprised and a little disappointed when there was nothing bad about your post and yet it had so many thumbs down.

Guy's that are doing this I doubt the intention of the rating system was to silence those you disagree with it was probably put into place to hide spam and silence trolls. For being allegedly enlightened a lot of pirates don't realize discussion does not exist without opposing opinions without that it becomes a big circle jerk of group think, ignorance and hate.

To those pirates angry at me for saying this I am upholding your right to disagree with anti-pirates as well.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Oh boy, $ony is gonna lose the battle in the long run, console makers should just ignore this issue tbh, they waste money on trying to fix something and the minute they block something, something else pops up. I give it at least a month before we see another jailbreak method.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
--you know . Its times like these I realize why I never buy Sony products anymore! Sony .. Really ? You don't think that there are people that are capable of developing something wonderful on a hardware platform that you continue to ****block ? Stop already and join the OpenSource world! let us jailbreak !! Set our processors free! Else get out of the business and quit screwing with evolution! Because the innovative public is NOT impressed!

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
One question .. it was deemed legal to jail break an iPhone.. cannot that law be used for PSP as well ? I think Sony needs to back the **** off...

crus_russ

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]This is good news and kudos to Sony for such a fast response. We cant say the same for Microsoft.Hears to the end of piracy and the advancement of the gaming industry.[/citation]
Its funny people gave you so many thumbs down. I gave you thumbs up. Piracy is the reason no one makes PC games anymore.

jnwpse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Heres the thing, Piracy is free advertising. The people who buy games, will always buy game, the pirates will never buy games. If they buy them, they buy them used in which case the dev doesnt see the money anyway. Gamestop does. Those people do speak to their legit friends about how great the game is, and how they should get it. Piracy is necessary for prosperity. Look at it like free advertising and free beta testing $ony, Dont take out my OtherOS function that I originally paid for because Geohot hacked you. What the hell is that? Scared of one 19 year old kid? Piracy should be a game, and nobody should ever get arrested or sued or anything, $ony should pretend that they are trying to stop it, and make empty threats but at the same time keep it going. Never let it become super easy so anyone can do it but ease up on hurting the legit people.

Status
Not open for further replies.