PS4 and Xbox 720 Graphics Specs Toe-to-Toe, Says Insider

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Consoles next gen hardware will lag behind ~5yrs of current pcs at the time of release....

Yet games do not improve graphically until new consoles are released, meaning most of the time the PCs extra horsepower is wasted.
Almost all games are ports now and are optimized for the console.

Game makers need to get their shit together and make games that take advantage of actual 'current' hardware for the PC. (but they never will because there isn't enough money to be made..)

Endless cycle of bullshittery.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Sooooooooo sad to see such pathetic hardware being called "next gen" in the upcoming consoles.Guess it's up to PC alone to push graphics forwards.[/citation]
If it wasn't older hardware it would cost WAY too much for a console...

G

What do you expect people? Give it some thought as to exactly how expensive are these consoles gonna be, and maybe you'll see why they're using this sort of hardware.

G

glad that i build my new gaming rig with a gtx 670 :D
im not getting any console anymore. the graphics of pc are much better just look at battlefield 3, crysis2 or crysis

G

With these pathetic specs, I'm pretty sure the next gen of pseudo-super-consoles will be the last one... Thtat, and the fact that you won't be able to play used (pre-owned) games. For shame! It looks like my hard earned money means nothing to this crooks.

haswell5271

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
AMD in a console? No thanks, I spent the extra money on an Intel chip so I could avoid sharing Floating Point Units on a single core. Console gaming just isn't what it used to be. Step it up Microsoft, you are quite disappointing to this ex-Xbox gamer.

"The PlayStation 3 will reportedly have the edge over Microsoft's new console thanks to the APU's built-in graphics core."

"The PlayStation 3 will reportedly have the edge over Microsoft..."

"Playstation 3"

PLAYSTATION 3!! WTF

G

It's true that specs are below a mid-range PC, but don't forget that CPUs inside consoles have more custom-3D instructions than PC's CPUs, and games are optimized for them. I bet that in the future, there will be a single chip that will link CPU and GPU together. Maybe the only reason they still use a custom CPU and a mid-range ( or worse ) GPU it's to cut down costs. If you, guys, look forward and study today generation Xbox and PS3 you will see that theirs CPUs are used only for consoles.

== Not native english speaker so don't be rude ==

darktrazz

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
[citation][nom]alchemy69[/nom]If the Playstation 3 has the edge on Microsoft's new console then there's something very wrong somewhere.[/citation]
what gets me is why sony won't use their cell core in the ps4. they haven't even hit its limit yet with current games, let alone the emotion engine that works with it

..its sad to see consoles making this turn, and gives me more of an excuse to bother not buying them at all.

ceeblueyonder

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
the ps4 announce was exciting and lame at the same time. exciting because the presentation was great. but i am still a bit hum about the inside. i know the ps4 will be better than the ps3, which it should. but it's not technically better than high end pc's right now. in comparison, the ps3 was graphically superior to any pc when it came out. it's not all bad. most of it is good. for one, it will be more powerful. and i like the controller. console has always been about the controller. and now, it is even more so. so, even though the next generation consoles are becoming more like regular pc's inside. they are also distinguishing themselves more outside by their controllers. at least, that is where i see the allure of the ps4. anyway, most recent news points the ps4 processor as an amd 8-core "jaguare" cpu... sigh.... isn't that a netbook cpu? and the grx card looks like it is an HD7860 since it allegedly falls btwn the 7850 and 7870.... mid-range gpu and a netbook cpu... whatever. still more powerful than the ps3, right?

ceeblueyonder

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
seraphatrix,

so the ps4 amd cpu is custom and not the same as in pc?

i stll think a RISC cpu would have been better for better performance. not sure though but that is always what i have read. and i am not talking about ARM RISC cpu's since those r for tablets and phone. i am talking about the cell processor cpu. the powerpc whatever architecture....

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
" a $700-$800 pc would kill both of them! "

Barely, and for a very short period of time, you will upgrade your PC probably two to three
times before the Next Gen. Consoles are outdated again. so your cost will be 12X that of a console, so the Console wins the Battle Hands Down.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The PS3 and XBox 360 were at least $500 when they first came out, but now they cost $200-250. HD gaming for a couple of hundred bucks. Hence, the mediocre system specs on the PS4. People don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a new console anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS