PS4 Can Use Phones and Tablets as Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
This is more for ease of access, and I don't think it's meant to replace the controller. For when you're wanting to type something in without a keyboard, or you're sitting on the toilet and you really want to sign in for that multiplayer match.

tbake

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
I realize that the translation is shoddy at best, however there is no mention of iOS compatibility.

compprob237

Distinguished
tbake - The end of the first paragraph, as well as the link inside, do state support for the iOS smartphone.

Article - "that can turn an Android/iOS smartphone/tablet into a PlayStation 4 controller."

Link - "Sony demos its PlayStation app for Android and iOS at Tokyo Game Show keynote"

compprob237

Distinguished

If they decide to alienate the "casual"/"light" crowd they're aiming for then I believe they'd be making a mistake.

I do not care either way since I have none of these device myself.

KillYourConsole

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
When you have that extra buddy around and no controller for him. No problem, just use a supported phone. It serves a practical use. Good for maybe adjusting a music playlist while someone else is in game and there are not controller's available (could be charging one).

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I know I am in the minority of users who doesn't like all of the "social" features being touted nowadays, but using your phone or tablet as a remote control to browse Netflix or Hulu Plus seems useful to me. I would never share a game clip but I would use this app.

ricky_d

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I'm on a crusade against touch as game control! We don't need phones as controllers, we need controllers for the phones! It should be illegal to create action games that don't require a proper controller.

They've had this similar functionality for Xbox 360 for a while as well through the Smart Glass app. This is to continue to the Xbox One. It's not new tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.