PS4 equivalent GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gibbly

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

In an apu the cpu and the graphics share memory. It is gddr5 though, I was wrong. the cpu also has to use it, 4.5gb is suposed to be available for the game to use (total) and another gb may be available if the system isnt using it. APUs dont use vram normally but in this case everything uses vram

Sabi Teodosiev

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I don't imagine the GPU of PS4 being as powerful as they say, given the tablet CPU, low power consumption and incredibly low power efficiency (75-100W from 120W to watch youtube, wtf). I don't say it only because I have to wait before I can build proper PC since I am international student and I feel ripped off for 2000$ 2011 gaming PC being surpassed by stupid overpriced 350$ console, though. Anyway waiting for NVlink or AMD HBM, although as a physics student, CUDA is preferred. PS4 image quality seems like shit - as a photographer: ghosting, low dynamic range, blur, etc; as a tech enthusiast: terrible field of view, colors, extreme blacks whites to hide textures, some blurring, cheap out of focus filters, etc. etc. It sounds like conspiracy theory but I still think they lie about PS4=660 only to sell more GPUs. I was able to run Watch Dogs at playable framerates, 4MSAA, ultra everything but shadows, no vsync (120Hz monitor, not needed), and no depth of field (unwanted effect anyway - it is stupid, because it doesn't know where you are looking). I know my GPU sucks, but I have the freedom to make acceptable compromizes, 1080p on 17" screen can be good even without AA, and to use such setting that I get better quality than PS4. Don't get me wrong, as soon as I graduate I will build a expensive gaming PC. Before I saw the PS4=660 comparison I tought I was above consoles looking only at screenshots and uncompressed gameplay..... Don't hate me, pls. I am not ignorant, I might be biased as I can't buy PC now since I am moving out with graduation and it sucks.

Icaraeus

Honorable

Efficiency for videos has been improved a lot. PS4 games do not look like crap - you probably don't have a good display. Looks great on my 110 inch projector.

Moon_Rock

Honorable
Mar 15, 2014

xbox one: 8gb ddr3, used the system memory as vram
ps4: 8gb gddr5 (type of vram) uses vram as system ram
THERE IS NO DDR3 IN A PS4

xX_Destructo_Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

My build here:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K4YNCJ GPU is OC and i get ultra 70-90 frames with soem drops to 60