Discussion PS5 GPU hits 2.23GHz speed, what cards does the green team has?

Aug 22, 2020
The latest about PST hardware information.
View: https://youtu.be/D0-3Gt30Uq4

He said the GPU is running 2.23GHz, isn't that even faster than RTX 3090 boost speed which is 1.70GHz. And he said the GPU is Navi.

Would that be logical to deduce that the forthcoming RX 6000 series will perform at this 2.23GHz speeds? If yes, then how nVidia fight back? Another 3090 Ti?

Your views, folks.

It's difficult extrapolate direct performance numbers, from specs, when comparing PCs to consoles. Consoles are an entirely different animal, complete with fully shared memory (between CPU and GPU) and physical PCB optimizations built in. Just because the GPU in the PS 5 runs at 2.23GHz does mean that the 'Big Navi' PC GPUs will run at 2.23GHz. It's an entirely different GPU, even if it shares a similar core chip.

I've read a good deal about the 'Big Navi' and the suspected performance numbers are all over the place. Some put it around RTX 3080 territory and others put it at or below the RTX 3070. We'll just have to wait and see.

As shown today by AMD,big Navi will roughly 8% slower than 3080

Theres more to cpu's than clock speed. The same with gpu's. And an apu has both. The gpu and cpu sides of an apu can run at separate clocks. And they have a total power budget. If the apu goes over that budget they get throttled.

Also the bigger a die gets the harder it gets to clock high. Thats due to power/heat disapation, signal timing, and silicon lottery. At some point just adding more shaders makes the card less efficient. (As the 3090 shows). Its hard to keep the pipeline filled with soany shaders. So sometimes simpler and faster works out better for a cost and power standpoint.

Aug 22, 2020
So, I think the green team wins again.

Anyway, I will hesitate at Navi even it performs so close to Nvidia because my past experience with AMD drivers is not very good.