PS5 SSD Upgrade Temperature Testing: Do You Even Need a Heatsink?

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So, Sony's storage upgrade solution involves removing, losing, the include NVM and replacing while with Xbox you can just add to it? I am surprised MS is not making a big deal about this.

Oct 9, 2021
So, Sony's storage upgrade solution involves removing, losing, the include NVM and replacing while with Xbox you can just add to it? I am surprised MS is not making a big deal about this.
No.

"With its latest firmware, Sony allows you to add your own M.2 SSD to the PlayStation 5 to supplement the console's internal storage. "

Also Sony's solution lets the consumer choose between tons of drives, not locking them down to one expensive option. The only thing surprising me, is that we haven't seen a specific drive branded by PlayStation, but it will properly come, though it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rdslw and VforV

drd7of14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2014
Would not the cover being removed possibly lead to improper heat dispersion onto the plastic shell of the PS5 console? Even with the heatsink, my concern would be that it might melt the plastic.

Did you measure the temperatures at the top where cover would be and the inner plastic above that? Would be curious to see if this concern is warranted or not.

Secondly - My guess would be that the cover protects the SSD from environmental damage and/or dust accumulation. Not having the cover over the bay may lessen the lifetime quality of your drive.

It would be good to test this over a 3 month period of time with regular use, 1 unit with the cover and 1 without in the same/similar environment if possible.

Oct 9, 2021
You need much higher temperatures for plastic to melt. The cover on or off will not affect airflow. But it can have an effect on dust accumulation, so that's something worth keeping an eye on, if one decides to run without the cover.

Reactions: VforV and Makaveli

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Actually Sony recommends to keep the SSD cover ON, so dust is one of the reasons. They also state better cooling with it on, but this test proves the opposite.
You got it all wrong. It's the opposite actually.
  1. You don't remove the original SSD, you add another one.
  2. Sony gives you the option to chose from a multitude of offers (cheaper prices or better performance, etc), while MS locks you into a proprietary SSD which is also expensive, more expensive than the options you get with Sony...
No.

"With its latest firmware, Sony allows you to add your own M.2 SSD to the PlayStation 5 to supplement the console's internal storage. "

Also Sony's solution lets the consumer choose between tons of drives, not locking them down to one expensive option. The only thing surprising me, is that we haven't seen a specific drive branded by PlayStation, but it will properly come, though it's not necessary.
There is exactly that, an SSD expansion from Sony for the PS5, but it's not under the Sony name, it's a subsidiary and I forgot the name (google it). I also don't know why they did that instead of using the Sony brand... But the idea is that they do have it.

Reactions: Erroneuz
Oct 9, 2021
There is exactly that, an SSD expansion from Sony for the PS5, but it's not under the Sony name, it's a subsidiary and I forgot the name (google it). I also don't know why they did that instead of using the Sony brand... But the idea is that they do have it.
Yeah I've seen it, it's called Nextorage . To be honest, a company at the size of Sony, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nextorage subsidiary almost runs it's own part of the business. Supply issues can maybe also be why, they maybe don't want a product branded for PS5 out there, if they cant deliver enough of them, considering how much heat they (and pretty much everything else) are getting, because of the supply issues.

Reactions: VforV
No.

There is one on the way:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/sony-releases-aftermarket-ps5-ssd-under-the-nextorage-brand

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Yea, you need a heat sink and the cover, especially during warm months and warm climate.
I’m always amazed this isn’t tested in the Caribbean or desserts, this is bad advice only applicable to air conditioned homes who never open the windows.

Oct 9, 2021
Also games for PS5 is actually smaller then on PS4, even with the higher details. Ant not like just a tad smaller, but in some cases more than half the size. Next-gen games doesn't have to have the same assets multiple times, as last-gen games did, to make it work with a traditional slow 5400rpm drive. Also PS5 uses some really nice compression tech, that can be decompressed on the fly.

Sony did the right thing, by shipping it with 825GB, keeping price down. But still keeping the option, so people who wants it, can add storage them self. You can get compatible 1TB drives now for under 150$, imagine how cheap they will be in a year or two.

No.

That's the main point. You COULD install most of the drives, even slower ones if you so desire. This means PS5 can get double the capacity of Xbrick, for the same price.
They don't touch the topic as they put very heavy markup on their product and dont want to attract attention to this.

Fact that you could get from 240GB to 8TB, from many price ranges and availability lists is the selling point here, and I dig it.

SECOND thing you dont talk about is what will happen in 3-4 years.
disc died on ps5 ? replace.
same thing on xbox ?
trashcan.

Reactions: Erroneuz
Oct 9, 2021
The one you wrote the day after this? Why?
bajuCSq.png

¯\(ツ)

TRENDING THREADS