PSP vs DS: At moment, PSP is winning big for me.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Mattinglyfan (deez nuts) wrote:
> "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in message
> > Mattinglyfan, your verbal assault is childish when you spouted...

> >> Way to name games adults actually play.
> >
> > Who are you to dictate what games adults will play?
> > As an Adult, I find your post disturbing.
> >
> > You don't decide what games I will play, you only decide what games
YOU
> > will
> > play.
> >

> Actually, I was going by the maturity rating level of the games that
she
> listed. Get a clue guy. You need know little before you spout.

When you say "maturity rating" do you mean the ESRB? Because sports
games are rated "E" and they are certainly played by adults.

> Boody Bandit sez to fish:
>
>>> Who are you to dictate
>>> what games adults will play?
>>> As an Adult, I find your post disturbing.
>
>> You're an adult?
>> I find that disturbing! ;-)
>
> I find your lack of faith disturbing! =D

I have no faith, especially in humanity

Andrew

Raph wrote:
> "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote in message
>
>>Rick Berry <rberry883@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>>So tell us, how does the GBA actually "beat" both the DS and the PSP??
>>
>>Well.... looking at the GBA SP, it's a great deal smaller and lighter,
>>has a much longer battery life, is more robust (these last two mostly
>>vs. the PSP of course), cheaper, has a _far_ better game library -- and
>>is more attractive than either to boot!
>>
>>Not that it doesn't have flaws, but the GBA SP is a really nice system.
>

> I agree with you 100%, I am very disappointed in the lack of titles for DS -
> but looking forward to Animal Crossing. I have no interest in the PSP since
> what I want in a portable is low priced games, small light and ergonomic
> hardware construction. Sturdiness is a major factor in portables as well -
> GBA SP...mine has been dropped multiple times, stepped on, rained on ( sat
> outside over night on camping trip ) and still works flawlessly.
>
> The DS has some cool features and at least provides a clam-shell case but
> lacks games and has a poor ergonomic design. The PSP costs too much, one
> drop and it's broken...no screen protection and extremely pricey games that
> are better played on a home console connected to a big screen. PSP is like a
> 'desktop replacement' in the computer world - and just like the huge
> screened heavy laptops is not a good device when you want to use it on the
> go..

I have to disagree. I have a 64in HD TV with an XBox using HD.
Lately I would rather be sitting on the couch with the wife, letting her
watch her TV, while I mess with the psp. I'd rather play that way, than
on the big TV.

--

Andrew

"Andrew" <yogig@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Raph wrote:
>> "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> wrote in message

>>>Well.... looking at the GBA SP, it's a great deal smaller and lighter,
>>>has a much longer battery life, is more robust (these last two mostly
>>>vs. the PSP of course), cheaper, has a _far_ better game library -- and
>>>is more attractive than either to boot!
>>>
>>>Not that it doesn't have flaws, but the GBA SP is a really nice system.
>>

>> I agree with you 100%, I am very disappointed in the lack of titles for
>> DS - but looking forward to Animal Crossing. I have no interest in the
>> PSP since what I want in a portable is low priced games, small light and
>> ergonomic hardware construction. Sturdiness is a major factor in
>> portables as well - GBA SP...mine has been dropped multiple times,
>> stepped on, rained on ( sat outside over night on camping trip ) and
>> still works flawlessly.
>>
>> The DS has some cool features and at least provides a clam-shell case but
>> lacks games and has a poor ergonomic design. The PSP costs too much, one
>> drop and it's broken...no screen protection and extremely pricey games
>> that are better played on a home console connected to a big screen. PSP
>> is like a 'desktop replacement' in the computer world - and just like the
>> huge screened heavy laptops is not a good device when you want to use it
>> on the go..
>
> I have to disagree. I have a 64in HD TV with an XBox using HD.
> Lately I would rather be sitting on the couch with the wife, letting her
> watch her TV, while I mess with the psp. I'd rather play that way, than
> on the big TV.

I can see a use for it at home as you said while watching TV with the
spouse, I just don't see myself wanting to carry it with me to Dentist,
Doctor...Jury Duty and so forth, while I like taking the GBA SP plus Movie
Player with me. Well, maybe it would be good for Jury Duty while you are
waiting forever to be called.

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Way to name games adults actually play.
>
> Umm...Card Games - Bridge, Poker, etc...no exactly a kids game. Bookworm -
> word puzzle game aimed at adults. Pokemon - most of the folks playing that I
> know have been with the game since the original Red and Blue and are now
> adults.

I'd wager that the `video game' most widely played by adults is that
solitaire game that comes with ms-windows... I'm constantly amazed by
the number of people I see playing that thing. :-/

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." Mahatma Ghandi

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"yleas" <yleas@usnet.com> wrote in message
> >''Eric'', have you heard about this yet? http://www.oqo.com/
>
> It is literally a desktop PC in the palm of your hand running Windows XP
(or
> whatever x86 OS u wish). Although it has its flaws and an expensive price
> tag I am extremely intrigued by this device.
>
> Yes I agree, the DS is perfectly suited to PDA type software, hopefully
> using its wifi to connect to hotspots for online activities. I wonder how
> this would work and where you could store downloaded data or files i.e an
> alternative to the SD storage usually found in PocketPC's. The PSP has
> potential in this area as well but the lack of touch screen is a
> disadvantage in that respect.

Wow!

I had seen a similiar product, but not that particular one. Definetly have
not seen anything that size!

Very intriguing, indeed! Man, I can't justify the $1800 price tag on that
thing, but if that thing was, say, at or under a $1200 I'd find it very easy
to write it off as just "only being slightly less than a halfway decent
laptop". The similiar device I saw about 1.5x the size, a few years ago.
It ran Win98 and/or Linux with no problems. Unfortunetly, these animals
look destined to stay in a niche market. :/

Cheers!
-Eric

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

I paid £270 for the unit and 2 games... if your a brit I'd be careful
where you try and buy your unit from. There have been reports of dead
pixels on the PSP and if it does have dead pixels you'll have to return
it to the states or where ever this chap got it from (there are no
Licenced UK distrobutors which means NO support).

I'm luckly I've got a friend who play tested mine for a week to check
for dodgy pixels, and he then mailed it to me, overall it costed just
under £270 for the unit and 2 games, so I'd say your being a little
over charged there.

Still I say well done for joining the PSP revolution, if more of us do
it perhaps Sony wont leave us till last (i.e. the more we do it the
more it'll affect the UK retailers esp if everyones got one already
from the states).