PSU adapter help

ERLENDqwe

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Hi, recently i bought a new GPU. I later realized that my computer didn't have enough power for it. I got a new PSU, but the PSU power connector has 20 pins and my motherboard only have 14. Also my PSU doesn't have any 6 pin PCI-E connectors, only SATA and PATA. So could anyone help me with adapters or other ways to fix these problems?

Solution
What PSU did you buy and what model motherboard do you have? On some motherboard power connectors there is a section you can "split-off" to fit your motherboard power needs. You can buy some inexpensive adapters that go from 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCIe (for example: https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-Molex-Female-Adapter-Length/dp/B007NMSUUA)

macky21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
What PSU did you buy and what model motherboard do you have? On some motherboard power connectors there is a section you can "split-off" to fit your motherboard power needs. You can buy some inexpensive adapters that go from 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCIe (for example: https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-Molex-Female-Adapter-Length/dp/B007NMSUUA)

Solution
Hello... It sounds Like you have a "special OEM" designed Motherboard... and your New "ATX" style Power supply is not made to connect to your ""special OEM" mother board. Typically you have to buy a equivalent "ATX" motherboard and transfer your CPU, RAM, Sata drives, and ? to a 'modern" featured "atx" motherboard... typically you will need to buy a "ATX" style case too... You need to do more than just a Power supply upgrade to get your current system 'upgraded" to "ATX" power and performance. B /

I would return your Power supply and get a model that included PCIe/GPU connectors on it too B /

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Adapter for the power connector is one thing but when you don't have PCIE connectors, it's rare that you actually *want* to use the adapters as competent power supplies that also have sufficient output for a discrete GPU almost always have plenty.

It would be helpful to know your motherboard *and* your PSU. Can't give you specific advice without specific information.