Question PSU and GPU Buzzing

blackmustang182

Honorable
Nov 19, 2014
so i just got finished with my new build and i boot up red dead redemption 2 i start hearing a buzzing noise. So i looked over the computer it sounds like the buzzing noise is more so coming from the PSU then the GPU. I'll list my setup
3600x ryzen 5
16gb ballistix sport
MSI tomahawk 450
RTX 2070 super
EVGA 650 GQ
also running two 27" msi monitors at 144 hz
Both run fine when idle but when put under a load the PSU sounds like a tesla coil running and the gpu isnt too loud. Getting really close to the GPU u can hear a little coil whine but not too bad. Its weird though because if i click off the game it stops then comes right back. When im not doing something not graphics heavy it stops. Should i just RMA the power supply or could it be its under powered?
edit: Just ran a benchmark with benchmark valley in lower frames it wasn't as loud at all but once frames climbed back up it started getting loud

Last edited:

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
coil whine is normal, High frequency noise can easily be dampened , and when you have a case with a closed side panel and is couple of feet away from you and maybe even a psu shroud , you wont notice that sound,
Also high frequency noise is relatively unidirectional so you can also tilt your case so that the mesh front panel (if you have one ) is not facing you directly , in addition to that your game sounds should really make this noise inaudible

-here's a good power calc to check if your PSU is big enough (650 watt should be ok)
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
-check the mains power outlet voltage, is it lower than 15% standard voltage when your PC is full throttle?
-you might have some mechanical resonance in the system as a whole; try some dampening material inside the PC case
Yeah i meant calculator nice