[SOLVED] PSU Buzzing sound when connected to ups

Apr 26, 2021
Hello there,

I'm using a Corsair Builder series VS650 650W 80+ power supply (the orange one). I use Tuncmatik 1000VA as UPS. It outputs a simulated square wave.

My problem is that when the mains power goes out and the UPS turned on, the PSU starts buzzing noise. When I contact the UPS manufacturer and asked about it, they said it was because of the square wave output and they said it could not give stable 220V voltage. They said that the UPS gave a variable voltage in the range of 200-210V and the noise was caused by that. Although it is not a problem for now, they said that it may burn the motherboard or damage the hardware in the future and they said that I should buy an on-line UPS.

What should I do? Is there really a chance of my hardware getting burned as they say? If so, why are they producing offline UPS? Waiting for your ideas...

Thanks a lot...

Solution
When the machine was running from UPS current, there was a small noise came from UPS for me (It was a Power Tree UPS). Not the PSU. It was Ok to use.

The PSU's input is 200 - 240 V and your UPS is the same for its output. So, if the UPS lags behind and gave a little less than 200V, it is not good for the components.

So, it's better if you can get a UPS with Little less voltage tolerance.
Apr 26, 2021
You don't need an online UPS to drive a 650W PSU. And you are giving a 1000 VA UPS for that 650W PSU. That UPS should be faulty. To tell you, i have been using a 650VA line interactive UPS with 550W PSU on my old rig and it was working fine.
So what do I need to do? Can we say that this UPS is definitely faulty? Was there any noise in the PSU when the UPS you were using was activated? Could using it this way damage my hardware?

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
So what do I need to do? Can we say that this UPS is definitely faulty? Was there any noise in the PSU when the UPS you were using was activated? Could using it this way damage my hardware?
It probably can damage your hardware as it can give unstable voltage to your components. Just get a UPS that can support 220 voltage output

Reactions: Dutchman.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
When the machine was running from UPS current, there was a small noise came from UPS for me (It was a Power Tree UPS). Not the PSU. It was Ok to use.

The PSU's input is 200 - 240 V and your UPS is the same for its output. So, if the UPS lags behind and gave a little less than 200V, it is not good for the components.

Reactions: Dutchman.
Solution
Apr 26, 2021
It probably can damage your hardware as it can give unstable voltage to your components. Just get a UPS that can support 220 voltage output
Thank you, I'm gonna start the warranty process of UPS and give it to the technical service, because when selling, they said that it supports 220V. I thought it might be faulty.

Thank you, I think there's something wrong with UPS, I don't want to take any chances. I'm gonna contact warranty and if the problem persists I will buy a new interactive UPS.

Reactions: Shalou

TRENDING THREADS