PSU cables

CAAA

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
my psu has 2 different types of 8 pin (6+2) pci-e connectors

x2 +12V3 Yellow/Blue

x2 +12V4 Yellow/Green

Which do i use? im going to connect a gtx 560 it needs 2 do i do 1 of each or 2 of the same?

Solution
You can use either cable or a power connector from each one if you would like. The colors indicate that they are on seperate rails but that really doesnt matter, each of the rails has more than enough power for the GPU by itself. The HCG series is well designed so you dont need to worry about balancing your loads yourself, just use the connectors you need and dont worry about it, you wont overload a single rail accidentally, you would have to try real hard.
There is usually only one type of video pci-e cables and the power supply will mark them with a tag around the cable , what you might be refering to is that some psu makers go a bit furter and show you that the cables are on different rails , just in case you wanted to spit the power load if you were putting in more than one card. The psu will have one cable that has two ends on it and you will use two 6 pin connectors for that card. I think that the 560 takes two 6 pin power plugs. Anyway the end of the cable usually have a split type connector end that has a 6 pin and an adjacent 2 pin to make an 8 pin. You will only need one power cable with 2 ends.

You can use either cable or a power connector from each one if you would like. The colors indicate that they are on seperate rails but that really doesnt matter, each of the rails has more than enough power for the GPU by itself. The HCG series is well designed so you dont need to worry about balancing your loads yourself, just use the connectors you need and dont worry about it, you wont overload a single rail accidentally, you would have to try real hard.

Solution