Question PSU Coil whine appeared with new GPU upgrade !

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
Hello , i'm writing today about an issue i encountered , this thread is more about peace of mind !
I got a new GPU recently RX7900xt to replace my old 1070ti ( it served well , but got old).
Then i started having coilwhine all of a sudden coming from my PSU (its deffo the PSU i really got my ear in there ) Also it only whines under load , like in game .
While i realise Coilwhine on itself isn't a lot to worry about as its just a negative byproduct of a normal electrical operation !
And i realise this could also just be caused by the vibrations of the increased power draw from the new GPU !
My PSU Model is EVGA Supernova 1000G+ Gold rated , wich in my oppinion should be enough and also a relieble brand !
I've had this PSU since 2019. and it was ok all this time , at least with the power needs of 1070ti !
Could this newly appeared coilwhine mean an undrelying issue that has arrisen with the higher powerdraw from the 7900xt ? Or am i just worryed for nothing ?
Other than that all seems to work fine (Temps ok , not crashing or anything) Just that sudden apperance of PSU coil whine with the new GPU got me a bit on edge !
Anyone with some peace of mind ot there ? :D

Full Specs :
GA AX370 Gaming k7 - Mobo
Ryzen 9 3900x - CPU
RX 7900 XT - GPU
32gb Corsair Ram
2TB NVMe - Storage
EVGA Supernova 1000G+ Gold rated PSU

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
Supernova G+ is just an entry level Gold unit with ACRF platform. Totally useless when you need that amount of power with high powerspikes.
That still doesn't tell me anything regarding the topic ! And its a 1000w PSU so it should be able manage those spikes !

Dec 1, 2023
Many factors could cause the psu to begin to fail. Different cards are pulling power at different amps. At this point you are on a nearly 5 year old psu. If you take the psu out and power the pc up, does it do the same thing? Either way you have a rail on the psu failing.

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
The transient response time of ACRF is to high for the look latest high end GPUs. That can cause coil wine in the PSU. Also the combination of PSU and GPU, nomather the load.
It seemingly only whines under load for me , but is it dangerous for the system ? Would it safely last another 2-3 months till i can get a decent replacement ?

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
Coil whine is not dangerous, just annoying. Get a more decent, and preferrable ATX3.0 unit ASAP.
Could you suggest me a decent one ? One that could support potential future upgrades , as my plan was to eventually convert to a better DDR5 system ! I dont really want to buy one that could end up being crappy in the long run also ! :( Im not all that good with PSU specs ! Any suggestions ?>

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015

Engels1991

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2015
I listened to your recommendation in the end , and just ordered the NZXT C1200 , the charts you provided seemed promising , and also there were many decent customer rewievs on it in several online storefronts so i went with it ! Thanks for the advice !

Latest posts